transit vs. 0404 usb vs. other sub-$200 usb options digital output quality
Oct 26, 2007 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

izquierdaste

100+ Head-Fier
I tried searching for this information, but could not find anything specific. Does anybody know or have an opinion of whether there would be a difference in digital output quality between the transit and the 0404 usb? I primarily work with my laptop so I need a usb rather than pci card. I use pretty good dacs and would like to make sure that I can send high quality digital. I currently have an old phillips aurillium, but that resamples to 48. It seems that the 0404 should have better digital quality than the transit, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or educated guesses as to whether there would be much difference. I don't really need any of the other features for either card, so I am primarily interested in digital output quality.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 6
What sort of digital output do you want?

The Transit can provide optical only as far as I know; the 0404 USB provides coax and optical.

The 0404 USB should have the edge as it transfers the data stream in block mode and then reclocks it out of a buffer.

And you might be quite surprised at the quality of the DAC section in the 0404 USB. I just picked up a Marantz SA8001 and have been comparing it to my 0404 USB with my CK2III and HD600's.......running FLAC>Foobar 0.8.3 via ASIO>0404 USB versus the CD's in the Marantz.

Right now, if the Marantz scores a 94, I'd give the 0404 USB an 89. That's a $200 MSRP USB recording device up against a $999 MSRP CD/SACD player.

UPDATE: See my conclusions after carefully matching levels here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...03&postcount=1

The results might surprise a lot of people.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sort of digital output do you want?

The Transit can provide optical only as far as I know; the 0404 USB provides coax and optical.

The 0404 USB should have the edge as it transfers the data stream in block mode and then reclocks it out of a buffer.

And you might be quite surprised at the quality of the DAC section in the 0404 USB. I just picked up a Marantz SA8001 and have been comparing it to my 0404 USB with my CK2III and HD600's.......running FLAC>Foobar 0.8.3 via ASIO>0404 USB versus the CD's in the Marantz.

Right now, if the Marantz scores a 94, I'd give the 0404 USB an 89. That's a $200 MSRP USB recording device up against a $999 MSRP CD/SACD player.

In our experiment the E-MU sounded better than the DENON DCD-685.
The Setup was:
Denon -> DIY Tube AMP -> DIY Bookshelfs w/ Seas speakers.
Denon -> Optical -> E-MU -> Tube AMP -> DIY Bookshelfs w/ Seas speakers.

I couldn't try it out with my setup but the difference was clear through that setup, so i think with headphones it would be even bigger.

I Hope this helps
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back