Transit owners, help please
Oct 19, 2006 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lipidicman

500+ Head-Fier
I have finally found a local UK dealer who can supply a Transit
£52.99 from Digital Village only ten minutes walk from my door!

Now a few questions for you helpful owners!

Would anyone steer me toward an EDIROL UA1-EX instead? I like the RCAs (and the volume control for headphones) However I get the impression the Transit is better supported with drivers and easier from what I read here

Can I run it from a Belkin USB2.0 tetrahub (guaranteed 12Mbp/s USB1 on each port) with/without the power supply?

When I run ASIO will I get only foobar through the transit?

I plan on using the SPDIF to go to a sony minidisc MDSJE520 as the DAC for now and onto my xcans. Anyone use a sony MD with the transit, does it lock onto the digital signal without unlocking sometimes?

I also plan to run the line out to my tivoli. Will this work whilst the digital is working?

I plan on leaving some headphones directly in the laptop for convenience (its good). Will I need to change settings in foobar to use them?

If I want to take the transit to work to drive headphones I assume control is via the system mixer?

Thanks for any answers you can provide. I am sure I will think of more questions!

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 5
I can answer a few of these.

1) I get KMixer input when using M-Audio ASIO driver and Foobar 9
2) I do run my self amplified speakers from the analog audio out at the same time as the digital is working.
3) I don't think that the Transit works well as a headphone out. The output is listed to work as a line output to an amplified speaker set, and volume is not one of the options. You would need some type of amp (CMoy or better) out of the transit, then to the phones.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
Would anyone steer me toward an EDIROL UA1-EX instead? I like the RCAs (and the volume control for headphones) However I get the impression the Transit is better supported with drivers and easier from what I read here

We probably would not be Transit owners if so!

Quote:

Can I run it from a Belkin USB2.0 tetrahub (guaranteed 12Mbp/s USB1 on each port) with/without the power supply?

As long as it gets enough voltage.

Quote:

When I run ASIO will I get only foobar through the transit?

Yes, if you set the primary audio driver to something other than the Transit.

Quote:

I plan on using the SPDIF to go to a sony minidisc MDSJE520 as the DAC for now and onto my xcans. Anyone use a sony MD with the transit, does it lock onto the digital signal without unlocking sometimes?

Depends on the DAC. You should not have any problems if you are only using it w/ASIO in Foobar.

Quote:

I also plan to run the line out to my tivoli. Will this work whilst the digital is working?

Bones13 answered this one. Another option is to connect it to your MD deck if you have a spare output.

Quote:

I plan on leaving some headphones directly in the laptop for convenience (its good). Will I need to change settings in foobar to use them?

Depends on the headphones -- they do not drive effecient cans such as the Sennheiser HD650 very well. It is possible to get the volume you want, though not necessarily the undistorted power, with less efficient phones.

Quote:

If I want to take the transit to work to drive headphones I assume control is via the system mixer?

Yes.

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies. Need to ask the shop to get me one then

Now, my headphones up to my 565 all work well out of the VAIO's headphone socket. What I am concerned about is whether foobar will be delivered here when I have it configured for ASIO with the transit. Will I need to change the preferences each time or is there an output switcher?

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

What I am concerned about is whether foobar will be delivered here when I have it configured for ASIO with the transit. Will I need to change the preferences each time or is there an output switcher?

To set it up, you would set the Sounds control panel to output to the Vaio's built-in sound driver. In Foobar2k 0.9, go to the Output and select the driver you want to use whenever Foobar2k plays anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back