Transistor for class A biasing, will the 2N5457 work?
Feb 8, 2005 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

enemigo

100+ Head-Fier
What are the requirements for a transistor to be used for calss A biasing (cascode), like in a Pimeta?

I have not measured or read the datasheet yet, but I was told the 2N5457 will handle 10mA, so that sould be ok at least.

Knut

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo
What are the requirements for a transistor to be used for calss A biasing (cascode), like in a Pimeta?

I have not measured or read the datasheet yet, but I was told the 2N5457 will handle 10mA, so that sould be ok at least.

Knut

The 2N5457 has a maximum IDss of 5.0mA and typically, it's actually nearer to 1.X mA. It's sufficient for an opamp driving buffers but not sufficient for use as rail isolation Jfet's in the PPA.
You'd want to measure the IDss of the individual Jfets if you're using the 2N5457 for both Q1 and Q2.

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks! I'll measure them and see if they'll do for biasing. I will be using them for both Q1 and Q2.

Found out I had another question, I'll try posting them here before making a new thread.

Can I increase the current capacity of the PSU by putting two TLE2426's in parallell?

Knut

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
no, the tle2426 is a rail splitter providing a virtual ground, it's not a regulator

I know it's a rail splitter, and not a regulator, but I didn't know that was required to have any effect from wiring it in parallell
smily_headphones1.gif

Knut

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Can I increase the current capacity of the PSU by putting two TLE2426's in parallell?

The evidence is that this can be done (see PPA) under some conditions. But in the PPA, the currents involved are very small, since most of the "ground" current is handled by the ground channel. Also, it's arguable that the TLE2426es aren't truly in parallel in the PPA since their inputs aren't directly connnected.

In an amp more like the MINT, where the TLE2426 is the sole source/sink of ground currents, I don't think paralleling is a good idea. A TLE2426 is, after all, a voltage source, and the rule is to never directly parallel voltage sources.

Have you studied my virtual ground article?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back