Transients, Bass, Headbands, IEMs... It All Hurts
May 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SecondZephyr

New Head-Fier
This is about to drive me insane…
frown.gif

Not too long ago, I posted here on Head-Fi asking about some issues I was having with my Koss KSC75s. I ended up deciding that they weren’t for me (see this thread as to why), and have since tried a series of new headphones, trying desperately to find something that I like.

It hasn’t worked. For months.

Ever since my pair of cheap Sony clip-ons (Sony MDR-Q23LP) broke late last year, and I decided to try something different, I’ve gone through a never-ending ordeal where each and every new headphone that I’ve tried has given me its own special form displeasure in sound and, often, physical pain.

My problems seem to be:

1. 1. The average amount of bass in headphones is enough to give me bass headaches, and many headphones don’t have enough treble for me - particularly high treble (~12k - ~16k). The Panasonic Slimz have about the amount of bass that I can handle. Yeah.

1. 2. All IEMs hurt – the smallest tips give me headaches, and the bigger ones just fall out of my ears. I’ve got miniscule ear canals, apparently.

1. 3. All headphones with a headband sits on top of your head give me headaches. No, seriously. I really don’t get this one. Even the Panasonic Slimz, which are ridiculously lightweight supraaurals give me this weird pressure-headache feeling after about 10 minutes of use. It didn’t happen the first time I tried them (or any other headphone), but it definitely does the next day… Regardless, the earmuffs I use for mowing the lawn, which do give me some pain after 45 minutes or so (they do clamp tight) only need a small adjustment and are good again for the next 20 minutes or so. And I don’t get a headache afterwards.
    confused.gif

1. 4. (And this is a big one) Transients (attacks) hurt my ears on almost all these new headphones. This is actually a problem I had as a kid a lot. The drums on most of these new headphones have felt like they were trying to bludgeon my ears, and have actually given me headaches and pain. Is this an issue anyone else has ever gone through? I’ve searched long and hard through the internet and have yet to find one other person that has… Does this sound like something an audiologist or a doctor should hear about?

1. 5. Frequencies in the ~200-250hz range sound really punchy to me, like that’s where some of the bass drum transients come from or something. I’ve never heard them described this way before, so I’m wondering if that’s exclusive to me or not.

1. 6. Isolation, in general, bothers me. It doesn’t bother me much on the earmuffs because there’s something… right about, like they cut frequencies in a way that’s much more pleasing than all of these headphones (and the one IEM).

For the longest time, I’ve worn clip-on headphones, and have found them to be extremely comfortable and enjoyable. I can often even forget they’re on, and can wear them for hours on end.

This whole ordeal is especially sad because I like messing around with producing music on my laptop. I almost always start messing with ideas with my portables (since, again, that’s what I usually listen to all my music on, so I know what they’re supposed to sound like), then continue fine-tuning on studio monitors (speakers, not headphones). I mainly just make stuff for myself and friends, and I’m not a professional by any means, but it’s an interest of mine, and I find it enjoyable and inspiring.

That and, well, the average studio monitoring headphone isn’t going to sound like what I listen to music with at all, so all my tracks would probably get waaaaaay out of whack…

Anyway, now to actually dissecting the various headphones. I’ve tried all of these (in chronological order):

Soundmagic PL30 - Where I learned that IEMs don't fit me too well. Isolation.

Koss KSC75 – Too much bass/very punchy bass – enough to get bass headaches with. Irritating spikes in the treble. Scratchy earpads.

Sony MDR-Q23LP (reorder) –  Stereo imbalance – more high treble on right speaker than left. Proven by playing the end of "The Birds" by Telefon Tel Aviv in mono (there's a bunch of glitchy sounds a the end, some of which are very high pitched). They panned right. I'm not sure about this, but I'm thinking that they also had this issue back when I first used them, except I wasn't enough of a critical listener to realize it... (That, and they were what I almost always listened to, all the time, so I didn't know too much different.) Seeing that I want to use these in messing around with audio production, this wasn’t going to work. Assuming that it was the whole model had this issue, I sent them back, and didn't order another pair.

Audio Technica ATH-M30 – Too much bass (pretty boomy), not enough treble, very uncomfortable to wear. Isolation. I apparently have huge ears along with tiny ear canals, because these circumaural pads felt like they were squeezing my ears after a short period of time (they're pretty shallow, too). That, and the aforementioned headband issue. The bass isn't as punchy as the KSC75s, but it's really "big" and deep to me, and I don't like too much... Also, this is when I realized that "flat-response" studio monitors aren't going to quite work for me, as these have often been said to sound like them...
blink.gif

Panasonic RP-HX50 Slimz – Not enough high treble (~12k-~16k). Aforementioned headband and transient issues make them no fun to listen to. Wearing them backwards is possibly more comfortable than forwards, because my ears stick out at an angle a little bit in the back (at least, they’re definitely not flat with my head). Isolation (a bit).

So there it is. I’m at a loss on what to do now. Do I try a bunch of clip-ons or earbuds, as they’re the only types of headphones that don’t automatically give me pain? But a whole lot of those will probably have too much bass and/or the transient issues…

Can anybody help me with this? Please? I’ve gone for months without any sort of portable audio except for my car stereo, and it’s driving me insane...
frown.gif

And should I go see an audiologist or doctor about some of this?

Thanks!

May 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 10
hmm...

Sounds like something flat might suite you better. I'd suggest etymotics but their tips tend to be a major pain in the rear. Have you tried IEMs with memory foam tips?

You can get their hf5s with custom tips which would be the best of both worlds...

Audiologists/doctors are a good option if you're concerned about something in particular. I've got my own hearing problems, and tinnitus flare ups that mean 3-4 month long vacations from audio... no headphones or anything for my ears to recover. This has lead me to be pretty picky in my phones as well, however i'm in the other end of the spectrum, highs and sharp treble sets my ears ringing, to the point of pain. I've found I can handle warm headphones with sweet tone, or flat and analytical headphones. anything described as "bright" or "sparkly" or "brittle" i tend to want to stay away with... granted curiosity seems to get the better of me.

May 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Sounds like something flat might suite you better. I'd suggest etymotics but their tips tend to be a major pain in the rear. Have you tried IEMs with memory foam tips?

You can get their hf5s with custom tips which would be the best of both worlds...

I dunno, the last "flat" 'phone I tried - the ATH-M30s - ended up being really bassy for me. The Panasonic Slimz are often criticized for not having enough bass, and I think it's just fine on them, so that probably says a bit too.

I did mess with the foams that came with the PL30s a bit, but they just seemed big for my ear canals. I'll admit, I didn't give the foams too much of a chance (I'd already had a lot of poor experience with the small silicon tips, and a friend wanted to buy the PL30s off me anyway), but it's not something I'd really be looking forward to trying again too soon...

That, and... well... I'm a college student! Custom tips are expensive... and I has no money!
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

That, and I read this thread where some people suggested that the Etys are overly fast, and have unnatural decays... that might not be a good sign for my transient issues. 
blink.gif

May 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

I dunno, the last "flat" 'phone I tried - the ATH-M30s - ended up being really bassy for me. The Panasonic Slimz are often criticized for not having enough bass, and I think it's just fine on them, so that probably says a bit too.

I did mess with the foams that came with the PL30s a bit, but they just seemed big for my ear canals. I'll admit, I didn't give the foams too much of a chance (I'd already had a lot of poor experience with the small silicon tips, and a friend wanted to buy the PL30s off me anyway), but it's not something I'd really be looking forward to trying again too soon...

That, and... well... I'm a college student! Custom tips are expensive... and I has no money!
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

That, and I read this thread where some people suggested that the Etys are overly fast, and have unnatural decays... that might not be a good sign for my transient issues. 
blink.gif

I'd recommend the Vsonic GR07 to you. Almost all of their bass response is focused in the sub-regions, below 150 Hz. They are fast, yet have the natural decay of a dynamic driver that prevents them from being fatiguing. Treble extension is good, and instrumental and vocal timbre are among it's strengths.

May 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Are you listening at high levels? Perhaps you need to keep the volume lower.

You might want to also go to a drugstore and get a safe earwax removal kit such as the one by Murine.

May 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the in-ear suggestions guys, but I think I'm going to stay away from IEMs for now.

If/when I do try another IEM, the Vsonics do sound like they'd be pretty good (if they fit well), but I think they're a bit out of my budget right now...

I decided to start looking for another earbud or clip-on, and I came across the Sennheiser OMX 180. For about $35, I thought it was worth a try, and Sennheiser are a pretty reputable brand (I've heard Senn can get a bit on the bassy side, but from the looks of the reviews, it seemed that these aren't that bad) so I ordered them. I'll come back here once I've heard them and tell how it went.
Quote:
Are you listening at high levels? Perhaps you need to keep the volume lower.

You might want to also go to a drugstore and get a safe earwax removal kit such as the one by Murine.

Actually, my friends get really frustrated with how quietly I listen to my music - in the past I've used an audio splitter to show some of them some music I listen to (or just handed them an earbud), and the comment is usually something along the lines of "I can barely hear it!", and/or "How do you listen to it that low?". So... I'm not thinking that's the problem.
biggrin.gif

The earwax is a good point, though - I don't clean my ears too often... Might be worth checking out.

May 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 10
if that doesn't work, ety's should be worth a try. see if you can find some used.

Honestly they're the farthest from bassy i can think of, and known for their clarity and balanced sound. stick some shure olives on them and you'll likely have comfort, and bass-light music. 

other than that something open back/ported may or may not help.

It's so funny, we seem to have exactly the opposite problem. Have you listened to grados by any chance?

May 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 10
And should I go see an audiologist or doctor about some of this?

Yes please do so.  It sounds like you have an inner ear issue of most of this listening is leading to physical pain.  Have you had any past experiences where you have had a loss of hearing or damage to hearing???  When someone is sensitive to bass or high frequencies, it generally indicates a past hearing injury or an inner ear problem.  I myself had terrible vertigo which is directly related to and inner ear disorder.  The concussion that I had, along with my Beats By Dre Tour(This was when I didn't know what audio was,) was just to much, and it sent me over the edge.  I am definitely not a basshead, and I find it annoying at times honestly.  Go with the audeo pfe132 or the etymotic er-4p.  Keep in mind, the volume levels that you use could actually be physically harming you.  On my westone um3x, even when I'm riding my road bike, It will be at 35% volume.  I have managed to rid of and avoid tinnitus(chronic ringing in ears) for a very long time.

May 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 10
OP: Repurchase Sony MDR-Q23LP, they worked for you. I"m sorry but I don't think ear/headphones are for you. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back