Transformer Wiring Query (Dual Secondaries)
Jul 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bizzel

1000+ Head-Fier
It's the moment of truth for my Sigma22 power supply, except I can't figure out the blasted wiring from the transformer. It's a dual secondary toroid (2x 0-18v) with a black/white pair of wires from one secondary and a red/yellow pair from the other.

The S22 has a four-way terminal block for these wires with two slots for ground wires. I gather that, if I connect things back-to-front, all manner of bad things will happen. I have a clue which is that the label on my toroid does explicitly say "0-18v (black - white)" and ditto for the red - yellow. Is that enough information to go ahead and connect em up or is there anything I can measure with a multimeter to be sure?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 12
I would assume the black and red wires are for the ground marking on the terminal block, and attach the others to the wavey one.

Double check to see if the windings are shorted before you fire it up.

Good luck.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 12
[=http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/75236-how-determine-phase-transformer-secondaries.html][/]

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/75236-how-determine-phase-transformer-secondaries.html

First you must fuse the primary with the appropriate size and time fuse.

Never ever automatically assume that the color code or voltage rating is correct.

Secure all wires so that they have no chance of flying around and either touching you, or shorting against each other.

Normally the 0v could be used to indicate phase.

EDIT: could not get the link to work so just pasted the addy below it.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Like digger said definitely use a fuse. Also you can test the secondary voltages out on the bench. Get a screw terminal block something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103983. Screw the secondary wires down to that. Then hook the fused AC mains up to the primaries and measure the secondaries with your meter on ac volts mode to make sure they are outputting what you expect. They will likely be a bit higher than rated since the transformer is unloaded.

You can also make sure that the secondaries are in phase by following the procedure in digger's link.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Power up the transformer on the bench safely like those guys said above, and check for the correct voltage rating. Make sure the primaries aren't shorted with any secondaries before you do so. I like to use them fancy clampy multimeter tip things.

If it checks out fine, wire everything in and fire that bad boy up.

The red-yellow and black-white pairs showing as shorts(continuity)/low ohms mean that the secondaries are correctly labelled in terms of colour, but don't forget to check for voltage.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 12
My pride and joy, 9 months in the making. It's a balanced Dynalo with Sigma22 and 25 power supplies. I haven't done any DIY electronics since school days so it's something of a learning experience!

Photo%2024-07-2011%2018%2005%2038.jpeg

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Congrats on the successful power up! It looks great and I'm sure it sounds awesome as well. One aesthetic suggestion I would make is to replace the screws on the XLR outputs with socket cap screws. They look much classier IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back