Transformer leads...
Mar 13, 2006 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headphickle

New Head-Fier
I'm working on my first DIY project and have been told to "use the secondaries in parallel for 12VAC" on an Amveco 62072.
confused.gif
I read the information sheet and it looks like I need to hook together the red/yellow and black/violet primaries and the blue/red and green/brown secondaries. I am assuming that the red primary pair corresponds to positive. Is the secondary pair with red also positive? This is serious business and I don't want to get it wrong. Thanks for confirmation on this one.

What is the preferred way to connect the leads together especially when they need to fit into the small pads on the TREAD board? Thanks again.

Mar 13, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 3
There's no such thing as "negative" AC voltage. All you do by hooking up the secondaries of a transformer "backwards" is change the phase by 180 degrees. The TREAD will work either way.

If you can't get both wires into a single hole, I would stick some kind of pin into the hole -- could be as simple as a doubled-over component lead trimming -- and solder both wires to that. Add some heat shrink, too. Don't put much force on this arrangement: it will be somewhat brittle.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Another simple way to do the connections so that you can remove the transformer leads without have to desolder is:
- solder relatively short (a few inches or so of) 12-16 gauge wires to the tread and put on the open end of it screw type connectors (or crimp connectors either male/female).
- put on the ends of the transformer the appropriate connectors to mate with the ones connected to the tread.
- heatshrink the connector section so you don't accidentally fry anything.

This will let you have some flexibility in debugging problems with the transformer or the tread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back