Transformer Enclosure
May 23, 2007 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cgrums

100+ Head-Fier
Morning All,

I'm having the hardest time finding an empty 'wallwart' style enclosure to stick my toroidal transformer in to finish my CK2III. Any recommendations? AMB? Ferrari? I've seen each of yours and either one looks like the perfect solution.

Thanks!

May 23, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 9
jameco electronics sells a wall-wart enclosure.

May 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrums
Morning All,

I'm having the hardest time finding an empty 'wallwart' style enclosure to stick my toroidal transformer in to finish my CK2III. Any recommendations? AMB? Ferrari? I've seen each of yours and either one looks like the perfect solution.

Thanks!

Vented:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=115043

Non-Vented:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=115051

Walwarts1.jpg

Walwarts2.jpg

The one on the left is non-vented. It has a Triad FP30-400 with four leads - perfect for either the SOHA or CKKIII. The one on the right is vented and contains an 800ma, 24V xfmr that Jameco sells for $2.59. There's a fully poplulated TREAD board in the bottom with an upgrade power cap. This one is in the middle of construction, so the heat sink is not shown - it bolts on the back where the LM317 pokes out.

P.S. Once you gain the distance advantage provided by a walwart, a toroid is not needed. If you already have one, though - it will fit just fine. Batman in the very first SOHA thread on Headwize did this, although he left his walwart hard-wired. That's a regular DIN on mine up there.

May 23, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. Once you gain the distance advantage provided by a walwart, a toroid is not needed. If you already have one, though - it will fit just fine.

Word. At first I expected to be putting the transformer in the same case as the CK2III but after seeing ferarris beautiful work I couldn't resist getting one of those ATI-Research cases. The ATI-735U will fit perfectly on my desk at work and the x-former wouldn't fit in that one.

I'm going to do exactly what you did with the Tread in the second one for my Dynalo...any chance of fitting two treads in there?

May 23, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word. At first I expected to be putting the transformer in the same case as the CK2III but after seeing ferarris beautiful work I couldn't resist getting one of those ATI-Research cases. The ATI-735U will fit perfectly on my desk at work and the x-former wouldn't fit in that one.

I'm going to do exactly what you did with the Tread in the second one for my Dynalo...any chance of fitting two treads in there?

Not likely, and certainly not in a way that would give you outside access to the 2nd TREAD's trimmer screw (there's a hole in the bottom if you look). Depending on the xfmr, though, you may be able to squeeze four 1000uF caps in there. That way, except for the bridge rectifier, you'd almost have STEPS-level capability.

May 23, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

That is a nice looking case. How long did shipping take from Thailand? I'd like to know what case Ferrari used for his wallwart, too. He did a beautiful job.

May 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a nice looking case. How long did shipping take from Thailand? I'd like to know what case Ferrari used for his wallwart, too. He did a beautiful job.

They quoted me three shipping options:

1. $15: 8-10 weeks

2. $30: 25-30 days

3. $60: 5-7 days

I'd like to say that I opted for the least expensive of the three but I'm not exactly a, uh, patient person and the thought of waiting 2 months to finish my CK^2III was more than I could stand
rs1smile.gif

I did add in an aditional case and two matching volume knobs to justify dropping the $60 on shipping...oh well.

May 23, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

They quoted me three shipping options:

1. $15: 8-10 weeks

2. $30: 25-30 days

3. $60: 5-7 days

I'd like to say that I opted for the least expensive of the three but I'm not exactly a, uh, patient person and the thought of waiting 2 months to finish my CK^2III was more than I could stand
rs1smile.gif

I did add in an aditional case and two matching volume knobs to justify dropping the $60 on shipping...oh well.

Wow, that's not as bad as I expected. I had priced the case, but never followed through on shipping. I'll probably do the same thing you did. If you amortize the shipping over several cases, it's not that bad (I'm not known for my patience either, but I can rationalize with the best of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back