Transformer and diodes burning up
Nov 12, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 17
Yeah, I guess a relay would work, I'll have to buy one sometime.

I just remembered why using the switch I have now is not good - I was measuring about 14VDC at the headphone jack between each channel and ground with the switch off. I guess when the IC's are off, there's a connection between a supply pin and the output.

Nov 13, 2001 at 2:26 AM Post #17 of 17
Hello,

Cutting Vout of PSU in your way is NOT good. Power is being dissipated if rails and GND have non-zero potential difference. Note if you are going to use dual PSU, you will have to add switches for V+ and V-. GND you may leave it intact. (Or you can add switch there too.) Note this use tend to cause pretty large pop while turning off and on.

I do not use power switches that way. I turn off my amps by cutting off 120VAC to the transformer. So transformer gets no VAC. Preregulator stage now gets no additional power. So caps will discharge thru the regulators and the amp itself. So there is no pop.

You should avoid powerful turn-on-off pops. These can damage your components. So that is why I tend to add switches between outlet and transformer. Note this means you need dual throw switches. GND must remain intact.

Tomo

P.S. Some of my amps has no switches. I just unplug them if I want to turn it off much like dual throw switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back