Transferring music files to flash drive
Jun 28, 2007 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I have been trying to transfer some music files I have in my iTunes library and my Windows Media library to a flash drive so I can play them in my car. I am doing so simply by copying the files through "My Computer" to my "F" Drive which is the removable media drive. Some of the music files have identifiers in my library as "WMA" and Windows tells me that it can't recognize these files. I then have to choose a program to play the file, the identifier changes to MP4 and the files starts playing through iTunes.

The problem is when I then transfer the MP4 file to my flash drive, it is not recognized.

The files located in my iTunes music library as MP3 files play fine, as do some of the files in my "Music Library" that, I assume, are Windows Media files. How can I get those songs labeled as WMA or MP4 to play correctly from the flash drive?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am not very literate with this stuff.

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Are you sure your car stereo can play MP4 and WMA? I ask because the mp3s are fine. My iTunes library has no such files that I can find...

The way you are moving the files should be just fine. If your flash drive has enough space for your entire library, you can also try the following:
1. Change your iTunes music folder to be your flash drive, and say yes to the box that comes up (don't worry, they'll still be on your hard drive too). This should move those files in your iTunes library (that are in the iTunes directory) to the flash drive. If you have other files, you can use the other checkbox (the one that moves all files into the iTunes music folder...) and this will move those to the drive, but this will mess things up too...
2. Change your iTunes music folder back to the original folder on your hard drive.

Good luck!

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure your car stereo can play MP4 and WMA? I ask because the mp3s are fine. My iTunes library has no such files that I can find...

No, it cannot. It can play MP3 and WMA files though (according the the manual). However many of the albums that I ripped to iTunes come up in My Computer as WMA files that both my car stereo cannot seem to read or my computer. When my computer prompts me to select a program to run the files, and I select iTunes, it converted them to MP4 files. iTunes can seem to read them but my car cannot.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 7
You can try using the freeware program Switch to convert your MP4 files back to MP3 files. As for WMA files, my Winamp and Windows Media Player play them fine, you're probably missing a codec. Do you have at least Windows Media Player 9 or 10?

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I tried using switch, but I think I messed up somewhere are as all of the music files that I switched from MP4 to MP3 could not be recognized by iTunes. It said that the original file was missing, do I want to search for it. It's been a frustrating experience. Anyway, I found out the when my son configured my preferences in iTunes he made it so ripping from my CD's was being done in Apple Lossless (whatever that is), so I changed it to MP3. I am now in the process of rebuilding my library. Thanks for the help.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 7
apple lossless is apples way of ripping a CD into a form that is lossless, or not suffering from the sound degradation you get ripping to a compressed form like MP3 and the like. It takes up more room than MP3 but it is of better quality then your standard MP3 compressed song. Its a good way to load up songs from CD if you have the space to fit them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back