Transferring iTunes songs to new computer
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 23
thats what i did when i got my computer, however, if i think if u have music in the new itunes you will lose that. just plug it in and see what it says, it will warn you as to what will happen. btw ur using the same account right?

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #18 of 23
when i transferred my songs i synced my ipod and it worked, but after looking it up i remember any songs i had ripped from a cd were gone, ONLY itunes purchased songs were transferred. wait a little while and see what others say, id hate to see you lose ur music b/c of me. lol

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 23
Hatmann, can you confirm a couple things for me?

1. What OS are you using?
2. Are all your tracks / iTunes folder on the external drive?

If it's a case of your iTunes folder is simply on the external drive, then I believe it's a simple case of dragging that whole folder across to C:\Documents and Settings\whatevername\My Documents\My Music and over writing the iTunes folder that iTunes created when you installed it on your new computer - Job done.

That's providing you haven't started to create a new library with fresh songs on the new computer, please advise?

I'm currently copying my iTunes folder across to an external HD before deleting it off my desktop to test this for you, give me twenty minutes or so and I'll have an answer for you.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by french2013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when i transferred my songs i synced my ipod and it worked, but after looking it up i remember any songs i had ripped from a cd were gone, ONLY itunes purchased songs were transferred. wait a little while and see what others say, id hate to see you lose ur music b/c of me. lol

True, if you do this only purchased songs will be transferred.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it. You say your music is stored on an external harddrive. Why can't you simply point your new iTunes install on your new computer to that location on the external hard drive. Granted, I haven't used iTunes in a while, but I do recall doing something similar back when I was.

Google search on how to transfer music from your iPod back to your computer. You can find applications like CopyPod, etc.

CopyPod 5.1 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 23
Yep as I thought, just drag the iTunes folder from the portable HD to the new drive on the laptop: /MyDocuments/MyMusic.

Everything will be where you were before the mishap, failing that then you could try one of the programs such as: iPod To Computer Transfer -- Copy from iPod to computer

Cheers

Mark

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep as I thought, just drag the iTunes folder from the portable HD to the new drive on the laptop: /MyDocuments/MyMusic.

Everything will be where you were before the mishap, failing that then you could try one of the programs such as: iPod To Computer Transfer -- Copy from iPod to computer

Cheers

Mark

Many thanks, Mark. Will give that a try this weekend.

BTW: My new Thinkpad W510 uses Win 7. Nearly all my music is on the external HD. I haven't tried to start a new library on the new Thinkpad.

As to the old Thinkpad (Win XP3), I'm considering whether to spend the $200 I've been quoted to replace the light bulb in the screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back