transducer "cloth" taken off on grados?
May 6, 2003 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

OogeleyBoogeley

100+ Head-Fier
alright. i own a pair of sr-80's. i am thrilled to death about them. when i was looking at vwap's ad about the modded senn pads, i noticed that that particular pair of headphones didnt have that thin cloth-like covering over the transducer. is there any significant purpose to this? could anyone explain this? thanks.

-dan

May 7, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 17
I think the cloth is there for some reason, I mean why would they include it if it were virtually useless. However, it might just be for comfort reasons, not sure. I have a pair of 125's myself but have no idea what the cloth is for.

May 7, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 17
hair must not get into the driver. the infamous Grado Grattle may then be produced. me, i just wish that there were larger holes, or just one hole with the cloth cover.
wink.gif

May 7, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
hair must not get into the driver. the infamous Grado Grattle may then be produced. me, i just wish that there were larger holes, or just one hole with the cloth cover.
wink.gif

Human hair does not rattle, last time I checked.

But yes, the cloth covering is to keep dust and dirt out.

May 7, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Human hair does not rattle, last time I checked.

But yes, the cloth covering is to keep dust and dirt out.

If it's touching the driver you'll definately here a lot of ticking and other noise.

May 7, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Digital-Monk
If it's touching the driver you'll definately here a lot of ticking and other noise.

I don't think so. Not unless you've been caught in a fire recently and your hair is like steel wool. Besides, how could hair get in there anyway?

May 7, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I don't think so. Not unless you've been caught in a fire recently and your hair is like steel wool. Besides, how could hair get in there anyway?

If you were to take the cloth off (like the thread is discussing) it would be very easy for hair to get to the driver. I have had it happen with my 60's a couple times with comfy pads and the cloth on. Bowl pads with no cloth would make it that much easier. This may not be a problem for most people that have short hair and no facial hair or sideburns.

May 7, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Digital-Monk
If you were to take the cloth off (like the thread is discussing) it would be very easy for hair to get to the driver. I have had it happen with my 60's a couple times with comfy pads and the cloth on.

That's really strange. I wonder why that is? I've never heard of this before, hair getting into the drivers. It should be pretty much impossible. You'd have to take a pair of tweezers and insert through a tiny hole in the cloth. Even then, I still don't think it would make the diaphragm rattle.

confused.gif

I think I'll contact Grado and ask if there is a high number of repairs due to hair getting to the drivers.

What if fleas or lice were to get in there and reproduce, then use the driver for a trampoline?
eek.gif

May 7, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 17
Its all too possible to get hair onto the diaphragms...

...and it does produce Grattle (or... in my case... Sontle I guess
confused.gif
)... careful removal of hair = no more Sontle
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 17
I had it happen with my HD600's. It started making a faint buzzing noise on heavy base notes which got me rather worried that something had gone horribly wrong with either the cans or the amp (Corda HA-1.) When I took the cushion and the foam insert off, I was relieved to find that it was just a single hair that had threaded itself into and through the foam and ended up rubbing against the driver.

May 7, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 17
I just did mine very carefully, making sure not to put too much (barely any) pressure on the diaphraghm with a pair of tweezers
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 17
What cloth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back