Trance with celt influences...
Feb 10, 2009 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rkb2948

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening to some electronica/trance stuff that had a middle east kind of vibe and thought it was pretty neat. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sort of electronica/trancey stuff that had some celtic influences?

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Afro Celt Sound System - their first two albums especially.
Also check out Shooglenifty. They play live instruments, but they play them like it's electronica, and they don't spare the electronic effects. Their most electronica-filled albums are 'A Whiskey Kiss' and 'Solar Shears', but their newer stuff is fantastic too.
Great stuff!

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Expanding things up a bit, I listened to Afro Celt Soundsystem and like that stuff, was really kinda what I was looking for. So on a tangent, anyone know anything like dagda, but more upbeat, ie less new age and kinda more musical. And on a similar tangent, does anyone know of any orchestrated celtic music, preferably something without banjos ( I think they make it kind of cheesy to be honest)

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkb2948 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know of any orchestrated celtic music, preferably something without banjos ( I think they make it kind of cheesy to be honest)

Try the following:

James Galway and Phil Coulter - Legends; A Winter's Crossing

Shaun Davey - The Brendan Voyage

And also the rousing music by the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra, in particular Prince of the Mist - a long, evocative string of Scottish folk songs arranged as a 18-minute orchestral suite.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkb2948 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expanding things up a bit, I listened to Afro Celt Soundsystem and like that stuff, was really kinda what I was looking for. So on a tangent, anyone know anything like dagda

Somewhat off the beaten track:

Spirit of Eden - The Sun the Moon and the Stars (very Enigma-like)

The two albums by the Welsh duo Ceredwen: O'r Mabinogi and The Golden Land

Users who are viewing this thread

Back