Trance cans for me, Team Beyer HeLp!
Apr 25, 2005 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dmb367

100+ Head-Fier
I turn to you, fellow headfiers, in my time of need. I have many questions and seemingly keep running myself in circles. I am in search of fidelity and am currently yearning for more.

First things first, my current setup:
Ibook - PIMETA - V6

And I listen to:
80% trance, 15% hip-hop, 5% rock

examples
trance - Armin (ASOT), Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, older Oakenfold, yada
hip-hop/rap - eminem, 50, ludacris, twista
rock - oar, dave, something corporate, coheed & cambria

So here's the deal, I'm looking for an upgrade in headphones (around $200, preferably lower) and thought I had it down. I was thinking first I would get an external sound card (first thought Edirol UA-1x, lately thinking waveterminal U-24), and then be set for a pair of brain-shattering DT770's. This was before I tried to start researching on my own.
Let me say most of music is 192 while alot of the trance is >192 or VBR

let me try to organize my questions:

1) For my music type and setup, are the 770's a go? I have heard them before but only with an Ipod and a Cmoy, Is this an unfair trial? I love bass but dont want boomy or bass at the expense of the rest of the spectrum. Is my music (quality) whats holding me back? Also would the 80 or 250 Ohm version best fit my setup?

2) (more of a source question) Having moslty MP3's should I splurge for the waveterminal or have the edirol do the job? Obviously I lean towards Edirol for its 1/2 price the Wave, but would the Wave serve better (I see its 24 bit instead of 16) ? Or maybe there's something better?

Finally, I would like to end with my goal. I want to listen to trance of my computer and have a very involving, comfy setup. I want to be able to float with the vocals yet slam with the bass. I want to be happy with what I have, basically... and I want to foget completely I have JBL floor speakers
biggrin.gif

In short, please advise.

Like many users, I check this site religiously and will be around alot so feel free to toss me questions.

Thanks!

Regards,

TEAM all I want is to be happy with what I have and enjoy the music I love
mad.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 19
yes from what I have read, and what others have said, the DT770-80's are about the be-all-and-end-all for Trance, unless you become obsessed with treble detail, in which case you send your DT770-80s to Headphile for a Woody/Recable, which cleans up the highs, brings the midrange out from behind the thundering bass; the wood covers it in butter, nukes it in the microwave on high for 20 seconds, ready for it to simply melt into your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 19
My personal favorites are the DT880s, but they're probably too bass-light for most. I'd definitely stick with a Beyerdynamic can, however, as their house sound matches up well with trance.

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 19
Check for the beyerdynamics djx1 thread, named some pictures of beyerdynamics djx1, interesting developments there. I've got the same decision as you to make, tho am leaning towards the djx1's coz i'm not using an amp with my iriver. Apparently due to lower impedance the djx1's will go a helluvalot louder with amp.

Hope that helps

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 19
DT770's will be pretty good. You could also look at the Sennheiser HD590's. They have a similar EQ to the DT770 - big bass, bright treble, recessed mids - but are a bit more refined. They're also open, and will leak sound everywhere, so if that's a problem, go with the DT770's. I would suggest the 80 Ohm version over the 250, as it will require more power, but honestly, I've never heard the 250, and have only auditioned the 80 several times, so take my comments well salted. I do have a pair of HD590's though, and while I don't use them much anymore except as computer headphones (too spoiled by electrostatics), I find them great for trance. My trance preferences are more along Goa and Psytrance, and I find the 590's tonal balance to be perfect for it. I would expect the DT770s to be very good also. The HD590's are less perfect for rock, where the bright treble amplifies guitar distorion while the recessed midrange takes the body out of guitars. However, it's pretty hard to have a headphone that will be both good for rock and trance. Rock headphones need a forward midrange, while trance headphones need forward bass and treble.

As always, audition your intended gear before buying it, so you know what you're in for. And buy from a place with a return policy, so that you're guaranteed on your investment.

You could also take a look at the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. It's not a basshead headphone, and doesn't have the sheer bass levels of the DT770 or HD590. However, it's a lot more balanced, and it can become a basshead headphone with EQ. It has pretty good power handling, and will not clip unless you start overdriving it to ridiculous levels. It is closed, comfy, and isolating, and is very easy to drive. Audiocubes sells these for $199, and they're IMO very much worth taking a look at. Unfortunately you can't preview them, as stores Stateside won't have them. So, if you find the DT770's or HD590's to be overly bloated in bass, then give the A900's a shot.

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for responses so far

I have heard HD-555 and will be hearing HD-600's (friend bought a pair) soon on my rig. I like the detail much more than my V6's, but I found the 555 less involving and weak on the low end, for the most part. Ill look closer into 590's.

So how about the soundcard... Waveterminal or Edirol? (maybe I should have posted this separate in the source forum)

Apr 25, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 19
WHUAY!!!
A man after my own heart.
I was just coming on here to ask exactly the same question! "what are the best cans for trance." i think i am heading towards the dt 770s myself after hearing the 80hz.

one question though what is the main differnces between the 80z and 250z in terms of sound..

Also will the headphones sound just as good out of a hi fi amp ( i have a nad c320) or would it be better to have a seperate headphone amp?

Also if i was to get them off the net after hearing them in a shop which would be the best/cheapest place to get them. and i live in the uk.

ok that was 3 questions. my bad.

And this one is for DMB367 you think van dyk is good on cans, you wanna hear him live. ********* awesome!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 19
@ C4rter

I do prefer PvD live; I think his lasest albums are kind of a sell out. Having said that his older recordings are still very good. I probably prefer anything live (if its good quality, on cans) to a recording...
basshead.gif

Ive never been myself to a live show, but I think I'd take that over cans any day
biggrin.gif

Also I believe you mean 80 ohm and 250 ohm versus 80/250 hz

Still a valid question though... How do these differ sonically? Yeah I know 80 is easier to drive, but If I can drive the 250 O, is it better?

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 19
You also might consider the dt990. They sound very much like the 770's, but the bass is somewhat more controlled & less "tubby" because they are open in design. The 770 & 990 share the same driver, but one is "closed", the other is "open".

- augustwest

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I will humbly suggest the DT250-250.

Hereby humbly seconded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
@ C4rter

I do prefer PvD live; I think his lasest albums are kind of a sell out. Having said that his older recordings are still very good. I probably prefer anything live (if its good quality, on cans) to a recording...
basshead.gif

Ive never been myself to a live show, but I think I'd take that over cans any day
biggrin.gif

Also I believe you mean 80 ohm and 250 ohm versus 80/250 hz

Still a valid question though... How do these differ sonically? Yeah I know 80 is easier to drive, but If I can drive the 250 O, is it better?

PvD Live in Multichannel Encoded DVD version
icon10.gif

i highly recommend the DT770 for trance/electronica. IMO, no other headphone comes close to the bass slam of the DT770, except maybe the HD590. sometimes the mids sounds kind of scooped out and the highs are a bit weak, but as others above me mentioned the Headphile woody mod fixes that weak spot quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back