Trance and 'High-End' Headphones
Jan 23, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 31
I don't think I'll buy another set of cans for a while. And I don't own any Beyerdynamic headphones at all whatsoever at present.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #17 of 31
For trance nothing that I've heared (except probably the DT 250/250) comes close to the Grado SR-325. Punch, detail and air in abundance. Though I have to say I haven't heared much... and going by what I've read about them I'm pretty sure the DT 880, CD3k or ATH-A/W1000 easily beat the 325's/250's; but having not heared the latter three myself I cannot know.

It seems the DT 250/250 have _almost_ as much detail, it's just not as obvious there as with the SR-325... so far any sounds on familiar recordings that I've heared for the first time with the 325's were there with the 250's, too. I just hadn't noticed them before I knew they were there.

edit: concerning the 770's... I've only heared these very briefly, but I'd take the 250/250's (and probably the 880's too) over the 770 anytime... Simply because I prefer a balanced sound with nice midrange to boosted bass with (even if just slightly) recessed midrange.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #18 of 31
I'm going to have to disagree with Eagle_Driver on this one. I listen exclusively to electronic music, and I love they way it sounds on my 280 Pros (smooth yet accurate). It's amazing the range of descriptions/opinions you will find on these cans (everything from non-existant to boomy bass and everything inbetween). MY 280 Pros have less mid/upper bass emphasis than most other headphones, but plenty of low bass impact. I can listen to them through an entire work day.

However, electronic music on the ATH-900s I received yesterday is absolutely off-the-hook!!! (and they're not even burned in yet!)

nate

Jan 24, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #19 of 31
nierika, it's okay if you disagree with me on the HD 280Pro's. It's just that to my ears, I need a bit more mid-bass and upper-bass emphasis than what the HD 280Pro's and the MDR-V6's/MDR-7506's actually deliver in order for electronica to sound and feel like, er, trance.

Jan 24, 2003 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 31
I listen to some of the more mainstream trance-y stuff.. but more psychedelic and goa stuff - also hard techno and the likes. i LOVE the way it sounds on my 770's. though depending on the tracks/recording and volume level i feel that at times there's too much bass (esp higher vol levels)

i'm really really intrigued by the 880's but i can't see myself getting a pair any time soon
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 31
I find my Sennheiser 590's work great with Trance. Although because of their detail, they can bring out how bad a sample is, or the low quality of the beat instruments. A lot of the time, techno just contains run-of-the-mill samples, and it shows when you have decent headphones to hear them through.

Nevertheless, that's the point of high quality headphones - to hear the details. It bugs me when people think it's bad when their headphones bring out low quality in recordings. Whose fault is that? Sennheiser's or the producer of the music? If you want headphones that hide detail, go buy a $10 pair.

Prizm

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #22 of 31
Even with CRAP music, I've found most $10 headphones to be completely and utterly unlistenable. They sound extremely hollow, with no real bass response whatsoever, no real treble whatsoever, weak mids, and screechy upper mids and lower treble - a recipe for severe hearing fatigue (or even premature hearing loss) even at extremely low volume levels, at that.

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 31
I personally think that the Beyer DT250-80 (or... in my case 150ohm) beat the A900s... the A900s are too bright in the treble, makes for a fatuiging listen with trance...

Strangely, over time i'm warming to the bass of the Beyers ~ moreso than that on the ATs... I don't know why... guess its just more of my 'flavour'

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #24 of 31
I listen to downloaded electronica and general music as well on the 7509 from the PC quite often. The bass doesn't have anywhere near the impact of the 7506, but it's a lot easier to listen to. Not top for detail but there's enough to keep you occupied. If I want the Full Monty for sound, I'll plug in the A1000. Otherwise if it's just listening while doing something else I will use the 7509.
Like the 250-80 it has a shelved treble (although at a higher level). The bass is the thing most worthy of criticism but if you have EQ on your portable or source it's easy to fix. All things considered a very non-fatiguing listen.
There's not been a Grato I can keep on my head for more than an hour, while the 7509 can stay on my head more or less indefinitely (with an occasional removal necessary on hot days). Comfort wise this is a close second to my A1000. It's more practical than a DT250-80 for portable use. I was thinking about selling it, but now I'm quite happy I didn't.
The Armor All smell is what was putting me off for long term listening, but this has finally started to subside after SIX washes of the earpad and careful wiping of the driver cover by an antibacterial agent.

And... Did I mention it sounds just like a V700?
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 31
Grato, eh?
eek.gif

Nah, Greato!!
biggrin.gif

And ugh, my ears have gotten so hot after just a few minutes when I had on the MDR-V900's that I used to own. That 'phone is heavy and super-hot, I couldn't bear to wear it for even three minutes without taking them off for a two-hour breather. (And yeah, my ears are sensitive to pressure, all right - but my ears are even more sensitive to excessive heat build-up!!)

Jan 24, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Even with CRAP music, I've found most $10 headphones to be completely and utterly unlistenable.

here here.. though some recordings are just plain horrible and there's nothing to be done about it even if the music is good.

Jan 25, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #27 of 31
chrono: I'd recommend to try the K240S for good AKG sound with more and punchier bass than on the K401/501 (240M&DF as well).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 25, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Even with CRAP music, I've found most $10 headphones to be completely and utterly unlistenable.

I was being sarcastic, guys
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think anyone can bear to listen to headphones that cheap.

What I really like with the 590's with trance/techno music, is that the bass is solid and present, though not overpowering. You can hear all the other elements of the song with clarity.

Prizm

Jan 25, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Prizm
I was being sarcastic, guys
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think anyone can bear to listen to headphones that cheap.

What I really like with the 590's with trance/techno music, is that the bass is solid and present, though not overpowering. You can hear all the other elements of the song with clarity.

Prizm

you'd be surprised at how many people just don't know any better.. and are shocked that there are headphones for $100 let alone $1000

Jan 25, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bioxeed
you'd be surprised at how many people just don't know any better.. and are shocked that there are headphones for $100 let alone $1000

...and then they think I'm crazy for buying ~$150 headphones, while they go out on "any old Friday or Saturday night" and spend $50 or more on drinks alone. They say that they like to go out for the atmosphere.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back