Tragic Story - I'm Heartbroken!
May 24, 2008 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

norymeoreason41

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I hate to get everyone's holiday weekend off to a negative start, but I must share my story.

My wife and I vacationed all this week in Mexico. It was absolutely perfect, that is, until we arrived at Cancun Int. Airport to return to the US this morning.

I carefully placed my Ipod Classic 80 with my neatly wrapped Denon c700 in my backpack along with a cell and a camera.

When we boarded the plane, I of course reached for my trusty Ipod - you guessed it, it was gone. The zipper had been breached. Someone actually walked behind me, unzipped the front compartment of my backpack, and stole my ipod. How do I know this, you ask? Because I specifically remember placing the ipod on top and zipping the bag tightly.

So, now, I am out of a $250 Ipod and $150 c700. What a great match they made!

So, now, here is where I'm at: I have to replace my gear. I really did love that combo, but now I have some flexibility and could buy different gear. I'm pretty set on just replacing the Ipod - I don't think I could possible migrate from Itunes. But the IEMs could change.

What you you all think?

May 24, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 24
I feel with you!
frown.gif

Sadly we can't trust all people around us, as there are thieves "everywhere"

May 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 24
I think I lost my Vampire Wire with Yarbo RCA connectors cables on the airline. I think they somehow fell out in the overhead compartment and I didn't realize it.

I put it in my carry-on for a reason...so they wouldn't get lost. Now, they're lost. Suck...those cables were pretty...and my home rig is no longer usable cause I have no RCA cables...

May 24, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you aren't too heartbroken to go on the rebound! What are you looking to spend on the new IEMS?

Haha, no, I truly am heartbroken. . . but I'm a realist and I understand that as terrible of a thing this is, I must move on and the tunes must continue to play!

I'll probably be looking to spend $100-$150 on IEMs. I was looking at the head direct line. Actually, I love the idea of the PK1 or 2 as I don't really need a ton of isolation. But I'm also looking at the RE1 or 2 as well.

Of course, I could just buy the exact same ones or settle with the denon c551.

But, I'm also open to Westone, Shure, etc.

So many options! I am in no state to be making such critical decisions!

May 24, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 24
by the way, one last note - durability is important as I mostly just wrap the phones around the ipod.

You might ask why I don't just replace the c700. Well, i actually found them to be a little harsh. And yes, they were very broken in. So, something a little warmer would fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks for all of the help during this time of need.
frown.gif

May 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 24
Get the RE2s, since they are available for $80. I agree on the Denon soung sig. I had both the C700s and 551s and sold one and gave away the other. Can't say much about the synergy of the RE2 and iPod, though my daughter has the 5.5g, so I can give a listen.

Also, the OK2s should be out soon (seems to be taking forever) and you can read those reviews too. They are also from Yuin.

May 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the RE2s, since they are available for $80. I agree on the Denon soung sig. I had both the C700s and 551s and sold one and gave away the other. Can't say much about the synergy of the RE2 and iPod, though my daughter has the 5.5g, so I can give a listen.

Also, the OK2s should be out soon (seems to be taking forever) and you can read those reviews too. They are also from Yuin.

Great, thanks for the input!

So, I think I'm now between the RE2 or RE1. I will not be using an amplifier, ever. Will I be disappointed in the sound going from a ~$150 IEM to an $80 IEM?

tstarn06, I would be interested to hear a comparison of the c700 and the RE2.

EDIT: tstarn06, I read through a bunch of you previous posts and see that you definitely prefer the RE2 to both the c700 and c551. Thanks a ton for the insight.

I guess my VERY LAST question is: RE1 or RE2. Remember, I will be using the Ipod Classic (which I just picked up at BB, and I'm sick over this whole deal) completely unamped.

Any last suggestions?

May 25, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 24
That $80 price is a Head-Fi group buy discount. They will no doubt be more like $120 new. Also, the C700s were only $99 on Amazon at one point. I would not let price really be my guide here.

Antonyfirst reviewed the RE1s and says they kinda need an amp, but he prefers them over the ER4P and the UE TF10 (impressive competition). And they are available for $150 (Head-fi Group buy). Check out his review here ... You can always PM Tony and ask what he thinks about powering the RE1s (and their sound) without an amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...nd-iem-323465/

Oh, sorry bout your loss. It sux, but your demeanor is commendable. At least you didn't get mugged, hurt, etc., right?

May 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 24
I sadly can top your loss.

I went out for a couple of hours during the day and came back to find someone had put a brick through my kitchen window, climbed in and helped themselves to my laptop case which had my 2xS Sensaphonic IEMs an 80gig imod and Porta Corda II

If that wasn't enough, they took two passports, a spare set of car keys and a log book (we had to replace the car's locks) my laptop, digital camera and a whole load of documents that meant they could have been interested in identity theft.

Just to rub salt in to my circa £2,500 loss I am uninsured as I have recently moved and although I pay a premium on my previous property I'm not covered in my new one!

There is one bit of good fortune in all of this though. I have been made redundant and am no longer travelling enough to need a portable rig :wink:

Anyway, like you I have to move on and will try to replace my portable stuff soon and I trust that justice will at some point be served.

Regards

Chris

May 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 24
Just made me think, my Cowon D2 4gb DAB + 3x 8gb Class 6 SDHC's is what, $400?

My, complimentary (free), custom monitors would be $250 + impressions + shipping, so i need to be careful....chain it to myself!

Shame i dropped the d2, for the first time, and it landed on a hard wood floor, when not in its case, and cracked the screen....Another $90 + shipping fo a repair invested
frown.gif

Soory for you loss, shame there are so many thiefs out there
frown.gif

Must have been light fingered....Did he /she take your phone and camera too out of interest?

Matt

May 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just made me think, my Cowon D2 4gb DAB + 3x 8gb Class 6 SDHC's is what, $400?

My, complimentary (free), custom monitors would be $250 + impressions + shipping, so i need to be careful....chain it to myself!

Shame i dropped the d2, for the first time, and it landed on a hard wood floor, when not in its case, and cracked the screen....Another $90 + shipping fo a repair invested
frown.gif

Soory for you loss, shame there are so many thiefs out there
frown.gif

Must have been light fingered....Did he /she take your phone and camera too out of interest?

Matt

No, that's the crazy part. They left the phone and camera! The phone is a WM device that is really pretty expensive (Moto Q9c) and the camera is a Canon SD1000 with two gigs worth of our vacation photos. So, thank goodness they didn't make off with that.

I guess I should be thankful for two things - first, they didn't steal anything else or hurt my wife or I; second, although it really sucks, at least I can replace what I lost without a huge strain on the budget.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.

I have decided on the RE2 (and like I said before, I already replaced the Ipod last night). I can't wait till the RE2 comes in (and the BSE skin for my new black Ipod, it feels so naked and exposed!)

May 25, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 24
Don't forget to consider the Comply T400s if you don't like the silicone or bi-flange tips. I'd even send you a pair to try, since you are spending so much already. I have a bagful (5 pair) and certainly could spare a pair just to see if they work for you. PM me your mailing address. Not a problem. I like them with the RE2s, but also use the flanges now and again (the flanges are kinda big, and feel like they will pop out now and then).

May 26, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to consider the Comply T400s if you don't like the silicone or bi-flange tips. I'd even send you a pair to try, since you are spending so much already. I have a bagful (5 pair) and certainly could spare a pair just to see if they work for you. PM me your mailing address. Not a problem. I like them with the RE2s, but also use the flanges now and again (the flanges are kinda big, and feel like they will pop out now and then).

Just for the record and the world to see, tstarn06 is the greatest!

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back