Trafomatic Primavera Initial Impressions
Oct 26, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #16 of 128
I can't speak to the Primavera paired with the Bartok, as I haven't demoed either, but in terms of helping you narrow down your selection....What is your budget and do you have a preference for SS vs tube? I only ask because the Primavera is a $15,000 tube amp and the Luxman P750u is a $5000 SS amp; hence your statement of being all over the place :wink:
You hit it spot on, my budget will allow for the Primavera but i'm just looking for the right pairing regardless of price. The real issue is there's no way to demo the primavera as even Fred ( Prana distribution) doesn't have one in stock that i can go test. I listened to the Primavera amp ( bartok wasn't part of that setup) at one of the can jam's but that's not a good basis to make a decision

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 128
@Acemcl I can certainly sympathize with you. I am very keen on the Primavera just based on the reviews I've read on this forum; however, there isn't much else out there to go by, and I know the chance of an audition (particularly in current times) is slim to none. The Woo WA33 Elite Edition is the closest amp I'd compare the Primavera to in terms price and being tube driven. The only thing that has kept me from buying the WA33 is FOMO of the Primavera. In that price range, you should also consider the Wells Audio HeadTrip II Level II. They are hand built and in another league from the Luxman. I just acquired a brand new one from Jeff Wells. Honestly, if it weren't for my new fascination with tube rolling, the HeadTrip would be my end game. If you want to stay in the price range of the Luxman, you should also check out the Bakoon AMP-13R (I also own and pairs beautifully with the Susvaras and I bet the Empyreans as well). There is a great HP amp shootout review on the HIFI Knights. Unfortunately, until there is CanJam and meetups again, auditioning any of this stuff is going to be difficult.

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #18 of 128
@Acemcl I can certainly sympathize with you. I am very keen on the Primavera just based on the reviews I've read on this forum; however, there isn't much else out there to go by, and I know the chance of an audition (particularly in current times) is slim to none. The Woo WA33 Elite Edition is the closest amp I'd compare the Primavera to in terms price and being tube driven. The only thing that has kept me from buying the WA33 is FOMO of the Primavera. In that price range, you should also consider the Wells Audio HeadTrip II Level II. They are hand built and in another league from the Luxman. I just acquired a brand new one from Jeff Wells. Honestly, if it weren't for my new fascination with tube rolling, the HeadTrip would be my end game. If you want to stay in the price range of the Luxman, you should also check out the Bakoon AMP-13R (I also own and pairs beautifully with the Susvaras and I bet the Empyreans as well). There is a great HP amp shootout review on the HIFI Knights. Unfortunately, until there is CanJam and meetups again, auditioning any of this stuff is going to be difficult.
A friend I trust had a chance to compare his wells audio Headtrip reference ( I think that’s the same as level II) with the primavera’s and for his music tastes, the primavera’s were better in every which way. Thank you for the hifi knights info, will check it out.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #19 of 128
This looks a very nice Tube Headphone Amp and has great reviews for it although not a lot of reviews.
What puts me off is the YouTube video of Trafomatic Audio's factory and them making some of the parts to lay down +12,000 euro's for a Headphone Amp particularly regarding continuous repeatability of producing high quality components day in day out !

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #20 of 128
Hi Trafomatic Primavera owners,
Has any of you used the Chord DAVE connected to the Primavera and also used Abyss 1266 and HiFiman Susvara's with the Primavera and DAVE ?

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #21 of 128
@Pale Rider Do you tube roll the Primavera?
I do not. The design is built around the supplied tubes, and I am extremely pleased with it so less inclined to feel the need. I might at some point. I’ve got a bunch of 6S45P but nothing like the 811-10.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 128
Hello,

here I am again. And today with some sound impressions to the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA. Please forgive the partly inaccurate wording, but English is not my mother language, you know... :wink:

The headphone amplifier of the small manufacturer from Mladenovac not only marks the tube-reinforced top model of the Serbs, but confidently and blatantly claims a top position in the sound Olympics. And already the dimensions of the classic tube amplifier leave no doubt that the Serbian manufacturer wants to set a striking and clear exclamation mark with regard to the aforementioned ambitions.

Tube Amplifier Par Excellence

With dimensions of 340 x 480 x 240 mm (W x D x H) and a weight of a proud 30 kg, probably no inexperienced newcomer to the illustrious circle of the Grail Knights of Sound would think that the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA, given these dimensions, could actually be the drive unit for an ear loudspeaker. The single-ended Tube-beau is a handmade small series product that impresses with its excellent workmanship and feel and IMO a very successful material mix of chrome- plated, brushed and painted steel and aluminum elements.

Also, completely separate power supplies for both channels, as well as high-quality internal components such as selected Mundorf capacitors, highly inductive filter chokes and oversized output transformers from own production are proof of the manufacturer's efforts to create a monumental masterpiece in this product series. Moreover, TRAFOMATIC AUDIO also manufactures the headphone amplifier in any desired RAL color, and even the type of coating (soft-touch or glossy lacquer surfaces) can be freely selected by the customer. Against surcharge of course.

Each PRIMAVERA is therefore unique, which is usually only manufactured individually after the order has been placed. Currently only a few units per year leave the holy halls in Mladenovac, which again underlines the worldwide exclusivity. Especially since the official sales price in Europe is settling at a whopping 11,999 Euros (14,999 US$).
Thus the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA is almost on a par with a VIVA EGOISTA 845 (12,800 €), or the WOO AUDIO WA33 in the Elite Edition (14,999 US$). So it almost goes without saying that the Serbian tube amp also offers the performance values that are usual in this class.

Power Rules

The PRIMAVERA provides identical 2 x 9 watts into 50 ohms at both its 4-pin XLR and the mandatory 6.3 mm Neutrik socket. The same applies of course to the two 3-pin outputs in the immediate vicinity. Not bad for a single-ended DHT (Directly Heated Triode) tube amp in pure Class-A operation. However, the maximum power consumption of 280 watts is not bad either. This is probably also due to the power-hungry amplifier layout with strictly selected pairs of tubes, consisting of 2 x 6S45P in the preamp section and 2 x SV811-10 power tubes.

Due to a sensitively graded impedance adjustment from 25 - 600 ohms, the potentially high-quality playing partners are also perfectly conditioned for their sonic purpose - to help the Knight of the Grail of fine tones in combination with the Serbian alpha-player to achieve a unique musical adventure. Of course, the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA is also capable of handling the most demanding headphone loads on the planet due to its enormous power reserves.

For this reason, I chose the HIFIMAN SUSVARA as the ear loudspeaker for the following listening test. With an efficiency of 83 dB/mW, it is not necessarily one of the most efficiently headphones. The Chinese/American ear loudspeaker also mercilessly expose every acoustic weakness of the player, no matter how small. On the other hand, the ABYSS AB1266 PHI TC, which is also relatively insensitive, is given an extensive playing time on the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA, in order to fully sound out the spatial imaging capabilities of the Serbian tube amplifier in addition to determining the bass qualities.

The signal source is my iMAC equipped with AUDIRVANA+ software. The BAKOON DAC21, which plays very "analog", prepares the digital fare for the PRIMAVERA in a first- class manner. The signal cable (USB + RCA) is made up of my well-proven CHORD EPIC- series strips, the power cable for the TRAFOMATIC is provided by SHUNYATA RESEARCH in form of an ALPHA-HC. Further information about the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA can be found on the homepage of the Serbian manufacturer Trafomatic.com

Sonic Tube Olympic

Before I start the technical sound assessment, I allow the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA an almost obligatory 50 hours of recording time. Experience has shown that the bass response of tube amplifiers is particularly improved afterwards.

And in combination with the AB1266 PHI TC the bass range is really something special. Not only does the bass reach down ultra-deep and really plumb the very last corner of the frequency cellar accurately and without noticeable pressure loss, it also has an excellent, albeit rather slim structure and convinces with a bone dry and impulse-fast attack.
Regardless of the listening level, the PRIMAVERA never shows signs of acoustic fatigue, maintains control effortlessly and confidently, and fires the American monster with bass attacks that make me fear and anxiety about the durability of the orthodynamic radiator's wafer-thin membrane material.

The TRAFOMATIC doses the bass volume in a masterly manner and ensures that the bass range does not overlap the fundamental range at any time. The base tone is not of an earthy, warm nature, which is rather untypical for tube amplifiers, but clearly maintains the neutral line and thus serves as a natural, because at the same time substantial, basis for the mid-range relevant to the sound. And especially in the mid frequency range the PRIMAVERA shows impressively what the Serbian tube amp is made of. This dreamlike exact measure of acoustic imaging, precise focusing and at the same time razor-sharp changes of voices and instruments has to be experienced to be believed.

At the same time, the TRAFOMATIC combines plasticity and airiness in an impressive way, so that in spite of the well-known excessive stage imaging of the AB1266 PHI TC, a pinpoint exact location is possible at any time without any problems. In addition, the respective actors are always placed transparently in the spatial context in the correct proportion. This is undoubtedly world class. The musical reproduction, however, is free of a flowery play of timbres, partly because the large ABYSS does not necessarily prefer this, and partly because the PRIMAVERA is committed to the most neutral reproduction possible.

The TRAFOMATIC also proves a great deal of sensitivity for rhythm and timing and, in combination with the headphone legend by Joe Skubinski, provides the now completely enthusiastic Knight of the Grail, that’s me, with a musically highly emotional experience. Especially as this congenial combination also makes a lasting impression in the high frequency range. Even the smallest tonal ramifications are resolved in detail and without any sharpness with a delicate tube meltdown. In addition, reverberation vanes appear completely natural, resulting in an absolutely authentic spatial impression.

With regard to the dynamic power reserves, no wishes remain unfulfilled. Because the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA is able to unleash an acoustic storm attack on the eardrums without any compression whatsoever, which is unrivalled. And also the superb fine dynamics meet the highest demands. Just this great. Hard to imagine that this performance can be topped. Nevertheless, the interaction with the HIFIMAN SUSVARA teaches me better. And once again it shows me that Aristotle can't be completely wrong. For the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

Bass quality and quantity in combination with the SUSVARA reach almost the ideal state. Draft, pressure and volume in absolute harmony, especially since the somewhat more powerful bass of the HIFIMAN is perfectly levelled out by the PRIMAVERA's slim contours compared to the ABYSS. In addition, the Serb drums precisely to the point with raven black basses.

Also in the mid and high frequency range the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA always maintains the perfect musical balance in combination with the masterpiece of Dr. Fang Bian - in a fascinating way at the same time. Based on a slightly more vivid base tone, any musical journey is not only drawn with the finest brush and individual tonal events are reproduced in breadth and depth in an extremely airy and spacious manner, but also coherently united to form a great whole. A three-dimensional masterpiece.

My Conclusion

No question at all. In my opinion the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA is one of the very best tube amplifiers for operation via ear loudspeakers, that you can buy for money.
It combines the fundamental strengths of the tube principle such as impulse speed, spatial imaging and naturalness with the outstanding performance of transistor amplifiers, garnishes them with a proper pinch of emotion and impresses with highly dynamic and unrestrained joy of playing.

The fact that the PRIMAVERA does without the sound characteristics of classical tube amplifiers, such as an exuberant richness of tone color and a sometimes unrealistic size representation, is in my opinion highly to be credited.

Unfortunately, the Serbian super-tube will probably continue to be rarely found in the wild in the future. Especially since the TRAFOMATIC PRIMAVERA is only awarded by the Serbian manufactory to hand-picked knights of the Grail of the very finest tones in return for a not inconsiderable monetary tribute.

This amplifier is without doubt a musical dream. And dreaming may finally be allowed. :)

Yours Fidelio

Trafomatic Primavera.jpg
Excellent review Fidelio.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #23 of 128
Does anyone have any experience pairing the Primavera with the DCS Bartok? I am building my end-game headphone setup and curious to know how DCS would pair with the Trafomatic.

I have to admit i am all over the place with the amplifier pairing for the Bartok, i've also been looking at the Luxman P750u. The main issue is the ability to demo any of the amps i'm thinking about given both Covid and the fact that both of these amps are only sparingly found in the wild
If you know for certain that you plan to pair a headphone amp with Bartok, I would spring for Rossini instead and then pair your choice of headphone amp. dCS make superb DACs. I have a hard time imagining a headphone amp that would somehow not sound good behind a dCS DAC. I would just buy the best of their three lines you can afford.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 128
The review of Primavera is a great reference! Anyone here ever compared Primavera versus VIVA 845?Just plan to buy one full-size tube amp to match my abyss 1266 TC, better coping well with Utopia as well...
You may want to double-check with Viva owners as @cladane had both drivers fail and another Viva owner reported he could distort the drivers after a few hours of play.
Just be prudent to make sure it was user-error and not design fault. I also know JPS briefly spoke about these dangers in one of their YouTube series.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #26 of 128
You may want to double-check with Viva owners as @cladane had both drivers fail and another Viva owner reported he could distort the drivers after a few hours of play.
Just be prudent to make sure it was user-error and not design fault. I also know JPS briefly spoke about these dangers in one of their YouTube series.
Yes I also remember JPS mention this in one of their YouTube videos.

I think it was the one on headphone amplifiers for the Abyss Headphones (not 100% sure though) where they said that some so called headphone amps that were converted from a speaker amp design didn't have any protection for the power output that could potentially blow the headphone !

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #27 of 128
Yes I also remember JPS mention this in one of their YouTube videos.

I think it was the one on headphone amplifiers for the Abyss Headphones (not 100% sure though) where they said that some so called headphone amps that were converted from a speaker amp design didn't have any protection for the power output that could potentially blow the headphone !
You are correct. It was no DC protection. Similar levels of incompetence to Woo and no ballast resistor. Sigh.

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #29 of 128
Can you elaborate on Woo here a bit more? Thanks!
Woo for a long time did not use any ballast resistors on their bias supply and later used under-specced resistors. Putting you at risk of the magic smoke.

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #30 of 128
Woo for a long time did not use any ballast resistors on their bias supply and later used under-specced resistors. Putting you at risk of the magic smoke.
I have heard reports of WA22 (not 33) breaking someone’s DAC, was that this issue, or what you are talking about could only happen on the headphone side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back