Trafomatic Head 2
May 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 277
Excellent.  I love the sharing nature of Head-Fi community members!

I have the utmost confidence you will enjoy the Head 2 - it's just a question of how much 
L3000.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #19 of 277
Any more recent owners of this amp want to share some insight?  I'm considering this as a candidate to replace my Eddie Current Super 7.  Just curious if it is in the same league.  I really like the Aesthetics of the Trafomatic amp, and balanced input for when I get my Schiit Yggdrasil within the next month.

Head 2 got 4 pins XLR connector for full balanced headphones as well as 1/4 " connector

Good to see it updated with separated 4-pin and 1/4" connector.  Even after a year it seems there's very little info on this amp but I do find it interesting.  I'm guessing you've just been very busy building custom amps for other customers, to get these out to more reviewers.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 277
  Any more recent owners of this amp want to share some insight?  I'm considering this as a candidate to replace my Eddie Current Super 7.  Just curious if it is in the same league.  I really like the Aesthetics of the Trafomatic amp, and balanced input for when I get my Schiit Yggdrasil within the next month.

Good to see it updated with separated 4-pin and 1/4" connector.  Even after a year it seems there's very little info on this amp but I do find it interesting.  I'm guessing you've just been very busy building custom amps for other customers, to get these out to more reviewers.

been working on a review of this, and I can say, yes, with HD 800 sounds better than eddie currents i've tried (Zana and BA) - well not sure if better than BA, but I always found that a little too bright and kinda meh. but uhh. handles HE-6 with authority too, which surprised me, felt much more than 2W for sure. the pre-amp is really good and the aesthetics, yes!! incredible dynamics and transparency!!......

lol more to come 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 277
Fantastic amp with HD800. No brightness at all, and GREAT bass! And this amplifier is ultra-quiet. No hiss, or hum, and it's a tube amplifier!

I use this with a Calyx Femto Dac, and the sound is great.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #23 of 277
  Fantastic amp with HD800. No brightness at all, and GREAT base! And this amplifier is ultra-quiet. No hiss, or hum, and it's a tube amplifier!

I use this with a Calyx Femto Dac, and the sound is great.

Is your HD800 modded?  No experience with the Calyx Dac, but my Head 2 + Yggdrasil I find just a touch bright with unmodded HD800.  Not terribly so, though.  This is in direct comparison to my Eddie Current Super 7.   Though I'll be selling the latter, since I prefer the versatility and practicality of the Head 2, and I still find it to be an upper echelon amp.  

If anything it is more neutral and accurate without becoming analytical.  I really want to take it out to a big meet in the future to get some more perspective before hyping it up too much though.  The preamp also seems excellent.  I think, in the future, I'll get something like a Parasound stereo amp and some speakers, to build a 2 channel stereo system with it.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #25 of 277
  Aha! so it sounds good as Preamp!   
  if you go for a Parasound A21 make sure you connect with XLR   
What speakers are you going to use? 

Not entirely sure yet, as that is awhile down the road.  And it depends if I go for a desktop setup like the KEF LS50, or floorstanders in a traditional setup.  A lot on my radar right now:

KEF LS50
B&W CM8,9,10
Ascend Sierra Bookshelf or tower /w Raal
One of the Salk Sound models /w Raal
Magnepan Mini Maggies on desk, or 1.7
JBL Studio 5 series (seriously)
Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones designed (even with useless atmos speaker lol)

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #26 of 277
This amp, given its quietness, pairs wonderfully with Grado low sensitivity cans. I'm listening to a 125e on these, and it's simply wonderful! I have all the flagship headphones, yet I'm really enjoying listening with the 125e, just shows that high cost is not a sine qua non for a great sound, synergy is more important. The bass of the 125e is boosted, and the treble is slightly more mellowed on this tube amplifier.

My HD800 is unmodded. Calyx Femto is a very neutral and balanced DAC, without the normal 'glare' of ESS sabre chip, which I have heard on the likes of Burson conductor (a great amplifier though). I am not familiar with the Yggy, although I heard that it might need 'break in' to tone down its treble. I am not a believer in the phenomenon of break-in though.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #27 of 277
I have the Trafomatic Head One, and it's extremely linear and neutral. I also think it's the most textured amp I've ever heard. I'm guessing Sasa kept that flavor alive and well with the Head Two.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #29 of 277
 Curious which vendor carries these for shipping to USA and if there are any wait times to procure after placing an order?

Only one I know of is Stereodesk, where I got mine.  I was able to pick up a demo unit so no wait.  They may have some in inventory, but not sure the turn around time if not.  And also, they told me they can custom order them in any RAL color, if you have a special color preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back