Trafomatic Head 2
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #256 of 277
Thank you, much appreciated. Do it when you feel like it, i'm certainly not in a hurry. I'm curious about this pairing because i got my eyes on the Ether 2 for a while now and for sure i'm getting a Head2SE when i raise the funds for it.

Also to add more on the previous comparisons, for what it's worth, the same dealer said that for him the Head2 pairs better with Utopia OG as it temper the more ernegetic character from the OG, while the Head2SE has better synergy with Utopia 2022.

I thought some Utopia's owners could be interested so i'm throwing this here.
Interesting on the synergy pairings of Head 2 and Head 2 SE. I can attest that my OG Utopia's do sound phenomenal out of the Head 2. I don't have any interest in the Utopia 2022's since they toned down the treble energy.

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #257 of 277
Hey guys there is not much information on users experience with the Head 2 as a preamp. All I see is “it is an excellent preamp”. Do any of you guys use it as a preamp? How does it compare to other stand alone preamps? It seems to have a pretty high gain for a preamp and that is why I ask. I am interested in buying to be used as a preamp primarily. I owned it before and absolutely love the sound for headphones so I am looking for an excuse to get it again…. Thanks

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #258 of 277
Hey guys there is not much information on users experience with the Head 2 as a preamp. All I see is “it is an excellent preamp”. Do any of you guys use it as a preamp? How does it compare to other stand alone preamps? It seems to have a pretty high gain for a preamp and that is why I ask. I am interested in buying to be used as a preamp primarily. I owned it before and absolutely love the sound for headphones so I am looking for an excuse to get it again…. Thanks
https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/trafomatic-head2-review-hard-as-a-rock/

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #259 of 277
Can anyone here compare the sound of Head 2 with Genalex Gold Lion tubes compared to the stock Electro Harmonix tubes?

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #260 of 277
@Slim1970
so you sold it and decided to get a SF instead, right?
SE version could be cheaper but with tube upgrade maybe on par...

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #261 of 277
@Slim1970
so you sold it and decided to get a SF instead, right?
SE version could be cheaper but with tube upgrade maybe on par...
No, I replaced my Head 2 with another tube amp, the Eddie Current Aficionado. The SE is an worthy upgrade to the original Head 2. Having not heard the SE, I'm not sure how it would compare to my EC Aficionado. With that said, I like the sound of EC Aficionado a bit more than the OG Head 2.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #262 of 277
Well I asked about the capability of the Head 2 as a preamp and I decided that the gain is just too much to use as a functional preamp for my system…..BUT…. I couldnt help myself….now I have 2 tube headphone amps. Perfect as I have 2 headphones and both can play at the same time which is handy when I have friends over! Love this amp.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #263 of 277
Can anyone here compare the sound of Head 2 with Genalex Gold Lion tubes compared to the stock Electro Harmonix tubes?
I bought and received the Gold Lions, and I have been using them for a couple of days now. While they sound maybe a bit clearer and more detailed than the stock EH tubes, I wouldn't really call them an upgrade, since, to my ear, bass punch and note attack as a whole is pretty significantly reduced and the soundstage, while being maybe a bit more holographic, is also a bit narrower. So overall, they've been a bit disappointing so far, but I'll try burning them in a bit before making my final assessment of them.

EDIT: I now have about 50 hours with the Gold Lions, and I must say that the sound is much improved. I don't know if it's brain burn-in or actual burn-in, but I feel the soundstage is now about as wide as with the stock EH tubes but deeper. Note definition is also better with the Gold Lions which makes the sound smoother to my ear, and while the bass is still maybe a bit less impactful than the EH tubes I feel the bass is more detailed with the Gold Lions. So, I now think the Gold Lions are a nice upgrade to the stock EH tubes, and I would recommend trying them out.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #265 of 277
Hello,
Have anybody tried Head 2 with Audeze LCD-4? Does the amp have enough power to control them properly, especially with dynamic and dense music?
Thanks!
It can power even the susvara

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #266 of 277
Hello,
Have anybody tried Head 2 with Audeze LCD-4? Does the amp have enough power to control them properly, especially with dynamic and dense music?
Thanks!
It is a very flexible amp and can power most/all headphones. I can test with the LCD4 specifically later this week. That said, it can power the HE5LE with a sensitivity south of 88 db.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #268 of 277
seriously considering getting one of these, any idea where would be the best place to buy one online?

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #269 of 277
seriously considering getting one of these, any idea where would be the best place to buy one online?
Firstly I want that HekSE, secondly if goto their page and email ?

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #270 of 277
HKse going nowhere, sorry.
But I could let my T+A Solitaire P-Se go if you are interested :ksc75smile:

I will take your advice, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back