traditional jazz
Mar 12, 2003 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
In my first thread involving good jazz recommendations, it got carried away and got way too many friggin stuff thrown about, and I hardly liked any of it.

I'm looking for mellow music with good harmony. I'm thinking a nice piano with strong supporting roles, I'm not big on sax, prefer horns.

So far I like Miles, Bill, and Norah.

So please, think about the music in mind before offering any tips on what I might end up liking...

Mar 12, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 9
Without getting semantically anal, traditional jazz generally refers to jazz from its recorded inception around 1915 thru the 1930s. It has been my observation that what most people like as traditional jazz and you are looking for started post WWII with small instrumental groups following the big bands and goes under the headings of bop, cool, hard bop, and post bop. If you go to www.fantasyjazz.com, you will find listinggs of the 20-bit remasters from the blue note, prestige, riverside catalogs; these are wonderful classic recordings from the 50s and 60s. www.alldirect.com has most listings at good prices. Should give you a start (read:cashectomy
biggrin.gif
). Enjoy.

Mar 13, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 9
I second that Fantasy Jazz recommendation...

Just got Bill Evans Trio, Waltz for Debby, and Sunday at the Village Vanguard, in 20-bit. The original CD releases sound better than most similar ones did... but the 20-bit ones have improved highs and articulation of note attacks, a wider sound field, and are hence less soft-sounding than the original releases. I think the 16- and 20-bit versions both have their merits, but am really glad to have the 20-bit ones now. Musically, this trio has no equal.

On other labels, for 50s and 60s period, I recommend Herbie Hancock, especially Maiden Voyage, Takin' Off, and Empyrean Isles. I think all feature Freddie Hubbard on trumpet... Empyrean Isles has him alone, with no sax.

Mar 13, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 9
If you have the time watch Ken Burns' Jazz documentary (http://www.pbs.org/jazz). I found it to be a great crash course in Jazz. I used to know what I liked when I heard it, but now I can actually put an artist's name to the music. Really helped me get started in buying jazz albums, even though I had listened to and played it for years.

And don't forget www.allmusic.com for doing some research on just about any musician you can come up with. Great when you know who you want to buy, but not which album, and vice versa.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by phonatic
I second that Fantasy Jazz recommendation...

Just got Bill Evans Trio, Waltz for Debby, and Sunday at the Village Vanguard, in 20-bit. The original CD releases sound better than most similar ones did... but the 20-bit ones have improved highs and articulation of note attacks, a wider sound field, and are hence less soft-sounding than the original releases. I think the 16- and 20-bit versions both have their merits, but am really glad to have the 20-bit ones now. Musically, this trio has no equal.

On other labels, for 50s and 60s period, I recommend Herbie Hancock, especially Maiden Voyage, Takin' Off, and Empyrean Isles. I think all feature Freddie Hubbard on trumpet... Empyrean Isles has him alone, with no sax.

Complete agreement.

Big raspberry for Ken Burns Jazz.
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 9
For some reason Dave Holland (basssist) doesn't get a lot of press, but he played with Miles Davids and he's out here stil making some great records. I like "Points of View". Really good traditional-tyle Jazz.

If you can find some Clark Terry stuff from the 60's you may dig that.

Donald Byrd (trumpet also) has some good 60's albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back