Traditional Brazilian artists -- any recommendations?
Aug 17, 2001 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neil

500+ Head-Fier
Of course, I'd prefer some female vocalists -- however, any traditional Brazlian music recommendations would be appreciated. I'm really into this single titled Clarao de Lua performed by Nazaré Pereira.

A clip of the song can be found here. Fantastic little tune. I'm tempted to encode a nice high bit rate mp3 of it for you all to enjoy; however, I must consult with the attorney.

evil_smiley.gif
Do it Neil.. Do it.. moo ha ha ha.

Alright, attorney gave me the thumbs up.

Aug 18, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 10
I second the request for suggestions. I have a Jazz CD called "Brazillian Romance" and also from Naxos guitar CD Jorge Morel's "Dansa Brasileira". This stuff is fascinating. Beautiful moody music. But I don't know where to search for more. Well, ok, I could go to Virgin megastore and browse the (likely to exist) Brazillian or Latin section but how'd I know what's good?

Aug 20, 2001 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 10
Coincidentally I just happened to check out an album for the first time hiding in my dad's collection.

It's Frederick Fennel conducting Eastman-Rochester Pops in Hi-Fi A La Espanola and Popovers and it has a few brazilian cuts. Its a Mercury Living Presence title. Great sonics...and I just have admiration for old recordings that can still sound this good.

Aug 20, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Flora Purim
Traditional, non-traditional, all of it's good. She started way back with Chick Corea and Return to Forever; her solo stuff and collaborations with her husband (at least I think they're married) Airto are outstanding.

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 10
You might try some of the Brazil Compilations on the Lukka Bop label. I don't know much about Brazilian music, but I hear that they are really good (and very popular in Brazil, too).

Sep 2, 2001 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 10
My friend Alejandro lent me a U.K. cd entitled "The Very Best of Latin Jazz". It's just great and has everithing you need to hear in your entire life and more. Theres a "TVBOLJ Vol. 2" with a bunch of great songs also.

Sep 3, 2001 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 10
check out "Aguas de Amazona", a cd of philip glass music performed by uakti, a brazilian group. This is from amazon.com's description:

Quote:

Uakti's Aguas de Amazona is a splendid suite of liquid light manifesting itself in nine riverlike tunes that splash, wend, trickle, and gush toward the fantastical changeling closer, "Metamorphosis." A Brazilian ensemble, Uakti (pronounced wah-keh-chee) weave a chordal interplay of strings, woodwinds, and homemade percussion pieces that create complex and exotic contrapuntal melodies evoking both wind chimes and dancing water.

the cd is a great example of digital production. wonderful textures, rhythms, and dynamics, with great color to the sound. personally i think glass's music is beautiful on this recording, although his style isn't for everyone.Aguas de Amazonia

Sep 3, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, this is classical, but there's a great Brazilian composer by the name of Heitor Villa-Lobos. His short show-off piece, "O Policinelo," or, "The Clown" was Arthur Rubinstein's favorite encore piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back