trading/buying/selling ettiqutte
Jul 13, 2004 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dweebgal

500+ Head-Fier
i jusr wondered what people's takes on this are, as over the last few months a couple of times, i have sent pms to people regarding buying or tading some items, and have not received a reply, when the pm shows that it has been read.

is it just me, or does anyone else find this quite bad form, and a little rude?

even a reply to say "no thanks" would be sufficient.

shouldn't there be some sort of unwritten rule that pms/emails should be responded to, just out of common courtesy, or am i totally out of line here?

Jul 13, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 20
I agree. I will always reply, even if the item has been sold, or if I'm not interested in the offer. However, if the person becomes obnoxious (this has happened) I will not reply a second, or third time.

Jul 13, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 20
that's fair enough.

i just think ignoring someone striaght off is pretty rude.

or just suddenly not replying to you, after they had originally indicated an interest in a trade

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 20
i'm referring to no reply ever. of course, people cant always reply to things as soon as they get them.

i've had a few where people have just stopped replying, even though they have read the pm.

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweebgal
i'm referring to no reply ever. of course, people cant always reply to things as soon as they get them.

i've had a few where people have just stopped replying, even though they have read the pm.

I've been involved in a few trades where people have done that. Having stated an interest, rather than say they are no longer interested, they just stop answering the PMs.

Just like being dumped!!
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I've been involved in a few trades where people have done that. Having stated an interest, rather than say they are no longer interested, they just stop answering the PMs.

Just like being dumped!!
wink.gif

icon10.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 20
I ignore low ballers.

One member wanted me to ship a brand new pair of HD600 cables to Singapore for $10. I politely declined. The same member later wanted me to ship to Singaporepore $80 worth of goods for $40 shipped to Singapore. On to my ignore list that member went.

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 20
I always try to reply to any PM but then again I don't get that many. There are members, however, that get a huge number of PM's and are constantly struggling to read them let alone reply. It is like many things today people just are not as courteous as we think they should be. Cell phones being one of the primary reasons; but that is a rant for another day.

Jul 13, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 20
I’ve had members PM saying they want to buy an item I have for sale. Not just interested but wanting to buy it and to send them payment information. I send the information and they don’t contact me again. I’ll contact them again and they said they changed their minds? I just don’t deal with those people now.

People who respond in a decisive way get the attention, tire kickers can browse elsewhere.

Mitch

Jul 13, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 20
Yep, Dweebgal - the rule is unwritten, and many haven't read it!

Yes it is rude - you live in one of the last countries where courtly manners are still cultivated/appreciated by the majority - enjoy it while it lasts.

Enjoyed my visit there a couple years ago - plan to go back soon.

A Special Thanks to Lady Thatcher, for her astounding (Classy, Heartfelt, Incredibly Moving) honoring of Ronald Reagan on the occasion of his funeral, and to all you Brits for the support you gave/give to us here in the U.S. We Will Never Forget, So Long As We Live.

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
We Will Never Forget, So Long As We Live.

That's what we claimed when it came to the French, now we have "freedom fries".

The buyer/seller etiqquette has gone to hell, especially in our hobby. People don't show the respect and consideration for others that they should. This is a large problem in America and with the way American culture is evolving I doubt that respect will ever be thought of as an American value in the future. The lack of etiquette isn't isolated to America; I have run in to problems with people from all over the world.

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 20
This is the thing I hate most about head-fi. I once had someone ask me to build them an amp. I agreed and he started giving me the specs for the amp. We exchanged emails over a period of about two weeks and then after I make the orders for the parts I never heard back from him. I always have people wanting to buy and then after a few PM's never hear back from them. I am guilty of reading PM's and not responding emediately but sometimes I am busy and will reply later that night or day. So this does not bother me.

JV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back