Tracks even the best of cans will find a struggle with ?
Jul 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Thermonuclear

Head-Fier
My choice :-

Uptown from the album Stolen Moments by jazz/fusion guitar virtuoso Lee Ritenour.

The album is terrifically recorded and the opening track, Uptown, is dynamic in the extreme and features very fast position shifting double bass playing. Ive yet to hear cans that can fully keep up with the double bass and reproduce it totally clearly, whilst keeping up with the multitude of transients and dynamics. Do check it out .

Any others you can suggest that will give top flite cans a serious workout ?

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velteron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dark Knight OST - Like a Dog Chasing Cars

The hardest track for cans I've ever heard.

Woah, you're right. My unamped PK1 (straight out of my laptop jack) can barely keep up with this song. There's just so much going on in this track that it seems to be designed to be played via a surround sound system and not a two driver headphones.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 21
I do believe that track from the dark knight ost has clipping in the recording - either that or the mastering engineer normalized the peaks to the very limit. Check a wav of the track in audacity.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a job for a pair of DT48s or SA5ks!

I'd be interested to see if the speed of those cans can keep up without issue!

i google imaged a pair of dt48`s, and then looked up the price of them. they look real cheap looking to my eyes and not what I expected for sure. what is the dt48`s knockout punch to justify the cost of them ?

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Velteron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dark Knight OST - Like a Dog Chasing Cars

The hardest track for cans I've ever heard.

I have this on FLAC and vinyl, need to give this song a relisten.

Well, I think The Postal Service's Such Great Heights has this synth'd bass note ( the introductory note) that just sounds god awful in everything I own..it literally sounds like a fart can and I don't understand why something that awful/distracting would have made it to the final mix. Maybe better with a sub?

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a job for a pair of DT48s or SA5ks!

I'd be interested to see if the speed of those cans can keep up without issue!

Really depends on the amp with the DT48.. I never owned such finicky low OHM/Sensitive headphones before..

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 21
DK track definitely has a lot going on, but yeah I'm pretty sure it clips as well. Great song though by the way!

The entirety of Cryptopsy's None So Vile album doesn't really reproduce as good as it probably could. I'd imagine it'd require electrostats to prevent the insanely fast tempo drumming sounding somewhat messy and muddled.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i google imaged a pair of dt48`s, and then looked up the price of them. they look real cheap looking to my eyes and not what I expected for sure. what is the dt48`s knockout punch to justify the cost of them ?

Cheap looking? They are made out of nuts, bolts, & steel.. Erik states the build quality is at least on par with the HP1. I never seen a headphone that better protects their driver.. They are the most expensive, dynamic, reference headphones in the market that I know of.. MSRP is 447.00..

Why the high cost?
Materials used in the construction & build quality. No plastic to be found.
Flat. 'Accurate'. Un colored. No distortion.
They meed the high standards of NAGRA.
Each transducer is selected & matched to achieve a maximum FR deviation of less then 1 DB
Extremely balanced.

They can be found used for as low as 60.00..

Heres one positive response.. YMMV..

Where jrosenth said :

"On now, the sound. In short, astonishingly revealing - hyper-resolving. On the drier, analytical side, but worth that price of admission to hear details simply not audible on cans such as the RS-1, Beyer DT 880, Senn 600/650 or AKG 501/701."

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 21
yes "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" is a clipping field day...my goodness...how this movie was nominated for Best Sound Mixing, and won Best Sound Editing (over WALL-E) is beyond me...the three times i've seen this movie have all been noise-fests...hollywood politics much?

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 21
Andrés Calamaro - Sur

Niño Josele strums his flamenco guitar at around the 13 second mark with such intensity, that most reproduction devices struggle not to distort, but the recording itself is clean of distortion. It's a nice test. It's also an excellent, excellent combination of classic argentinian tango and spanish flamenco, and it's a great recording. Heartily recommended. You'll find it on Spotify too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back