Tracking force help with JMW-9 tonearm
Aug 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Vespasian

New Head-Fier
I just bought a dynavector 17D2 cartridge. I am trying to set the tracking force for this particular cartridge. The counterweight is all the way forward which renders a tracking force of about 1.25 grams, but the cartridge requires a tracking force between 1.8-2.0 grams. Any ideas?

TIA,
ves

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Lighter counterweight, different arm, or different cartridge.

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vespasian
The counterweight is all the way forward which renders a tracking force of about 1.25 grams, but the cartridge requires a tracking force between 1.8-2.0 grams.

Just add a little blue-tack at the rear of the cartridge.

Under normal circumstances I always set the C/W where the cartridge is way over the recommended maximum tracking force and then fine tuned by adding + or subtracting - blue-tack until I found the 'sweet spot' during listening tests,this is much easier and repeatable than sliding the C/W back and forth.

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 8
You should definitely contact VPI or dealer, if purchased new. I believe they have a weight that goes between the cart and headshell that adds weight at the point of the cart for lighter carts. I recall having one at one point when I had a Rega cart.

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 8
234124.jpg

Blu-Tack is just a re-usable sticky adhesive sort of a non permanent mastic, the point is all you need to do is add mass to the headshell end of the arm and then set the suggested tracking weight by moving the C/W or leave the it where it is and add or subtract blu-tack (or similiar) from the headshell.

For a temporary fix you could stick something on top of the headshell or run some tape/ or a thin strip of lead around the arm near the headshell and then adjust the counter weight.

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 8
I have the exact same combo - I had to get a lighter counter weight that my dealer luckily had in stock. Blu tac will work but you need a lot of it, so just cough up the money
tongue.gif

BTW the dyna Karat mkII is terrific with the VPI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back