TR-X00 vs Meze 99 vs DT1990?
Sep 17, 2019 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tiztoz

New Head-Fier
Since I know nothing and this is my first experience in headsets, I need your help to decide which headset should I buy. I am adding links, not names, just to make sure I got the right headset.

A- budget : 500-600$ (headset).
B- budget : 100-200$ (accessories like DAC, AMP...).

C- I like bass, and I will use pc to listen to music.
D- preferably closed back only if it doesn't affect quality.
E- I appreciate any tip for a noob like me that you wish you knew earlier.

Headsets:
1-
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones

2-
https://www.amazon.com/Meze-Classics-Walnut-Silver-Headphones/dp/B01EJMYOHO

3-
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-1990-Pro-Black-Dt1990/dp/B01KM9EJ7I

4-
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-660-Audiophile-Headphone/dp/B076HP574T

5- any other suggestions

Others:
1-
https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Liquid-Spark-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07JW7NSXT

2-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K...sc=1&smid=AEKTXRC1VF90T&tag=3340693-headfi-20

3- any other suggestions

Thanks

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 11
If you could describe what you prefer sound wise in all other areas except the bass, it would bring you one step closer to choosing the right headphones. What genres do you listen to? My top choices would be the 99 Classics, where the mids are slightly forward, and the treble is slightly rolled off. If you like more of a V shaped sound signature where the mids are somewhat recessed, and both the bass and treble are elevated, I'd choose the tr-x00. If you want more of an L shaped sound signature (bass is a bit elevated, neither the mids or treble are recessed), I'd opt for the Audioquest Nightowl. The Nightowl has the largest Soundstage (out of your head experience) of the 3, but it's overall tonality is pretty dark. Whereas the 99s and tr-x00 have a warmer tonality. All 3 have wooden cups, which imo makes them sound more organic. If you listen to a lot of rock and metal, the 99s simply can't be beat. Should you choose these, purchase the 99 Noir from Massdrop. They come with 2 sets of different size pads, and most people prefer the smaller pads. Also, if you like your treble a little hot and spicy, Beyerdynamic might be a good choice. If you like the treble a bit more tame, they're probably not a good fit. Sony could also work, but I haven't heard any of their stuff. I'd probably opt for closed back cans if you really want a visceral low end.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 11
If you could describe what you prefer sound wise in all other areas except the bass, it would bring you one step closer to choosing the right headphones. What genres do you listen to? My top choices would be the 99 Classics, where the mids are slightly forward, and the treble is slightly rolled off. If you like more of a V shaped sound signature where the mids are somewhat recessed, and both the bass and treble are elevated, I'd choose the tr-x00. If you want more of an L shaped sound signature (bass is a bit elevated, neither the mids or treble are recessed), I'd opt for the Audioquest Nightowl. The Nightowl has the largest Soundstage (out of your head experience) of the 3, but it's overall tonality is pretty dark. Whereas the 99s and tr-x00 have a warmer tonality. All 3 have wooden cups, which imo makes them sound more organic. If you listen to a lot of rock and metal, the 99s simply can't be beat. Should you choose these, purchase the 99 Noir from Massdrop. They come with 2 sets of different size pads, and most people prefer the smaller pads. Also, if you like your treble a little hot and spicy, Beyerdynamic might be a good choice. If you like the treble a bit more tame, they're probably not a good fit. Sony could also work, but I haven't heard any of their stuff. I'd probably opt for closed back cans if you really want a visceral low end.

I will be completely honest with you. I didn't understand anything of the L/V shape you are talking about.

I don't listen to rock and metal at all. Mostly, I listen to pop music.

I listen mostly to songs like these:
1- Hola senorita

2- Senorita

3-GIMS - Caméléon

4- GIMS - Corazon

If you have the experience to know what genre is this next song, that will be a huge factor in determining what I listen to beside pop.

5- Saber Rebai sings Melhem Barakat

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 11
I explained what each meant in my thread. Are you familiar with bass, mids, and treble? People can't help as much if they don't know what you're after. As you already know, there is a big list of headphones with big bass.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 11
I’m not into fatiguing treble, so the Meze 99 Classics (or Noir for $100 less) are the clear winner in my book. Slightly rolled off highs, great mids, and big, punchy bass. Also, slightly more transportable than either of the other options.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 11
I explained what each meant in my thread. Are you familiar with bass, mids, and treble? People can't help as much if they don't know what you're after. As you already know, there is a big list of headphones with big bass.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I did some reading yesterday and I think I understood what you have meant. Please tell me if I'm on the right side of what I have understood.

I have Logitech G pro X gaming headset, I played a lot with its equalizer to reach the tone I desire in most of the songs.
Lows: I raised the lows a lot which I think boosted the bass. Turning it down removed the bass and I didn't like it.
Mids: I didn't care about the mids the way I cared about the lows, but I preferred them a little higher than normal. When I turned it lower than the level line, I heard it like someone was choking, or like it was underwater and I didn't like it.
Highs: I raised them a lot and it gave me clearer voices and instruments.

Final result: look at the picture, I think that is what you meant about the V-shape.
Screenshot-392.png

Did I understand what you have meant?

Thanks for your patience.

Attachments

• Screenshot (392).png
    Screenshot (392).png
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for getting back to me.
I did some reading yesterday and I think I understood what you have meant. Please tell me if I'm on the right side of what I have understood.

I have Logitech G pro X gaming headset, I played a lot with its equalizer to reach the tone I desire in most of the songs.
Lows: I raised the lows a lot which I think boosted the bass. Turning it down removed the bass and I didn't like it.
Mids: I didn't care about the mids the way I cared about the lows, but I preferred them a little higher than normal. When I turned it lower than the level line, I heard it like someone was choking, or like it was underwater and I didn't like it.
Highs: I raised them a lot and it gave me clearer voices and instruments.

Final result: look at the picture, I think that is what you meant about the V-shape.
Screenshot-392.png

Did I understand what you have meant?

Thanks for your patience.
Essentially, yes. However, every headphone is tuned differently. For myself, the mids are most important. They are kind of the meat of the music. A lot of instruments fall into this category, as do vocals. If you are certain that you want elevated bass and treble, the tr-x00 is probably the best choice. If you want elevated bass, forward mids, and a little less treble, get the 99s. Keep in mind you can use equalization to fine tune, should you choose.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 11
Very good cans in most ways. The soundstage is quite open, especially for a closed-back headphone. The sound quality is top-notch and the bass really comes through. Plus they're gorgeous. So a no brainer. Great choice BTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back