TPA6120 or LT1210 ?
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 55
how about just getting invlved in the discussion instead of pointing to your own products folks.would be a nice change of pace considering the guy just wants to build his own amp
mad.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
how about just getting invlved in the discussion instead of pointing to your own products folks.would be a nice change of pace considering the guy just wants to build his own amp
mad.gif

Rick,

Honestly I think Morsel was pointing to those design threads (not the product pages) because they contain a wealth of information about the process that each group went through in designing a circuit to accommodate the 8397 and the problems they encountered along the way. Kind of makes sense rather than rehashing the entire discussion doesn't it?

Nate

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 55
Many people believe the AD8397 is a better choice for a headphone amp. The only public development being done with this chip is on Headwize. Goodsound does not have to buy anything, merely read about the work being done to see if he likes the idea of using the AD8397 instead of the TPA6120 or LT1210. The nice thing about free and open community service projects is that anyone can take the information and use it as they wish.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Ok. Now I see what you’re saying.

there is a "safety valve" that can easily be added and that is resistance outside the loop to decouple the feedback loop from the output jack and was once common practice until some knucklhead declared it ruined the sonics and like lemmings everyone agreed in DIY circles and it went bye bye.
Better is the five-buck-per channel-solution from Jensen

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/oli3.pdf

If you look at the output of practically every single commercial power amp you will find such as network on the output to stabilise the amp.called something else,same thing.Adding $10 to the cost of an amp seems to me personally nothing when even a single capacitor can cost more.

Comes down to what you need-straight current driver TPA or buffer.Gain AD8397 if you want to keep it "simple" and tidy rather than multistage and complicated

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Honestly I think Morsel was pointing to those design threads (not the product pages) because they contain a wealth of information about the process that each group went through in designing a circuit to accommodate the 8397 and the problems they encountered along the way. Kind of makes sense rather than rehashing the entire discussion doesn't it?

I don't buy that for a second.

search the threads on certain members and show me posts not going directly to personal products.Show me balance,involvement and interaction with the community.If it does not go DIRECTLY to personal profit some persons don't bother even getting involved around here and the post histories tell the tale better than I can.

"community servce" does not mean storefront but involvement in all DIY threads where someone is just looking for help and answers from those who know more.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 55
Thanks for your reply, Nate. No idea who Rick is ranting about. Obviously it isn't me, since I design amps for fun as a community service and accept no money.

Goodsound, each of the chips discussed here has benefits and liabilities. Some of these issues are rather complicated and boil down to personal priorities of sound quality vs stability vs cost vs simplicity, etc. Read as much as you can about implementations of these chips and the critical comments each received.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
-The Wizard of Oz

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

I don't buy that for a second.

You're entitled to that opinion, just don't expect me to take it as fact.

Quote:

search the threads on certain members and show me posts not going directly to personal products.

The thread, at least the one Morsel is directly involved in the design of, that was linked to above is completely open source, schematic and all. She's not holding a gun to anyone saying, "Buy my board!" People are welcome to use the information in that thread it as they see fit - whether that's to design their own PCB, PTP wire the circuit or otherwise. Quite frankly I fail to see how you view Morsel's posts as having a profit motive in this case Rick.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

No idea who Rick is ranting about

yes you do you both do and an opinion that goes againt the "brain trust" is not a rant but MY opinion.

when was the last time you posted in ANY thread not directly pertaining to one of your designs or that had something to do with the topology you favor ?

what headphone thread ?

what portable gear thread ?

what sources thread ?

accessories ?

Music ?

the lounge area ?

What part of the "community" are you actually involved in other than your own personal profit margins ?

I can rant and if you get me started WILL and there is not a damn thing you can do about it since me resigning as a moderator.This means my opinion is equal to and as valid as ANY OTHER member and I can say pretty much what I want as long as i do not go out of bounds.

you don't have to like it but is what it is
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

yes you do you both do and an opinion that goes againt the "brain trust" is not a rant but MY opinion.

I'm going to assume that 99% of the above post doesn't apply to me and my 1800+ posts on this forum over the past year...

And did you ever think that Morsel might not post much because every time she does you accuse her of having some ulterior motive towards profit?
confused.gif
And not that she needs me her to come to her defense either so I'm done discussing Morsel.

Nate

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
-The Wizard of Oz

at least I don't get PAID for my opinion and have never taken a dime from one single member for any advice freely given to the best of what I know or have experienced in what is over thirty years of audio and electronics.some good some bad but still experience and never make any claim as to being the be all know it all that some do.

This being no more than personal opinion can be taken as that,my thoughts on the subject and no more.At the end of the day there is no "link" to a store where you can purchase my advice and if there is any "curtain" hidden behind it is the deception of some trying to make loot on their "service" to the community.

Service is a project in the Headwize library not personal pages with a storefront and shopping cart.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

What part of the "community" are you actually involved in other than your own personal profit margins ?

I believe Morsel's profit margins on the projects she's been involved in are non-existant at best and more likely negative. As for her contribution to the community, I know you have eight times as many posts here as she does, but in all honesty I'll take quality over quantity any day....

If you look at the number of people who have started building their own electronics from tangent's CMoy-tutorial and then via one of the popular designs to something more advanced, these designs account for the majority of what'sgoing on in the diy-community today. I have been registered on head-fi and headwize since the OPA2134 was the standard opamp in a high-quality diy-amp and if you wanted to build something advanced, you added a BUF634 to your CMoy. If you look at what people are building these days I for one do not long for the old days. If there is ever to be a head-fi "hall of fame", my first three nominations would be:

PPL - For the amp designs he contributed and for designing/discovering a lot of the circuitry which we take for granted now.

Morsel - For her contributions to various amp designs and the diy-discussions in general.

Tangent - For his contribution to the designs and discussion here, and especially for actually fronting the cash for the first run of META42 boards. Before that, many attempts had been made to make an "amp for the people", but this was the first time someone really put some action behind the words - the world is full of great ideas that never bloom because noone acts on them. (And yes, I know he has sold a lot of boards, but if this was a multimillion-dollar operation, do you think he would spend countless hours making video tutorials that shows people how to solder?. I know I don't!)

Apologies for continuing this thread in a wrong direction, but IMHO this needs to be said (and has been needed for some time)
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

I'm going to assume that 99% of the above post doesn't apply to me and my 1800+ posts on this forum over the past year...

you assume correctly Nate.You at least are involved and that in every thread you feel you have something to add which is what the DIY forum is about.A GROUP effort where we try to help each other the best we can and never expect anything in return.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

I believe Morsel's profit margins on the projects she's been involved in are non-existant at best and more likely negative. As for her contribution to the community, I know you have eight times as many posts here as she does, but in all honesty I'll take quality over quantity any day....

obviously you miss the point entirely.I never said the posts were not informative or not of quality but only that the person has little use for the community in general unless it goes directly to a product she either endorses or in fact sells.Easy enough for any knucklhead to check for themself by doing a search on any member here and seeing if there is a "trend".

when a post count goes to 95% personal product based content and the other 5% insults I think my statements dead on and if not then why not just enter the conversation with out the "link" offsite ?

too busy to be involved in the discussion but not so very to provide the linkage ?

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #29 of 55
You folks can do as you want.I will offer my "free" advice/opinion as usual across the board on any topic that either interests me or is a plea for some help in making a choice/solving a problem but this particular thread is off track,no longer is a point of information so I am outta here.

have fun
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

obviously you miss the point entirely.I never said the posts were not informative or not of quality but only that the person has little use for the community in general unless it goes directly to a product she either endorses or in fact sells.

Not at all. As I do not belive there is any direct financial linkage, I think the threads are "previous work", but whatever....

/U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back