Toward Equal Loudness at Audible Pitches
Jun 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Balisarda

100+ Head-Fier
[size=12pt]“Neutral” is a word audiophiles throw around a lot, but one that’s hard to measure. One measure of neutrality might be reproducing audible pitches with equal loudness. I was curious whether my headphones—or, rather, my headphones and my hearing—were doing this. I played a tone sweep and heard noticeable differences in loudness at different pitches.[/size]

[size=12pt]Curious how my headphones would sound equalized toward equal loudness at audible pitches, I downloaded NCH Tone Generator (it’s free), saved ten individual tones (lasting 3000ms each) at the ten frequencies that J. River Media Center’s DSP Studio can affect (60, 170, 310, 600, 1k, 3k, 6k, 12k, 14k, and 16k Hertz), and assembled the ten tones into a list (in NCH Tone Generator).[/size]

[size=12pt]When I played the list (in NCH Tone Generator), I found a very noticeable rising loudness to 6k Hertz with a subsequent fall-off through 16k Hertz.[/size]

[size=12pt]Using the Equalizer in J. River Media Center’s DSP Studio, I adjusted the frequencies to compensate, aiming for a more-even loudness at all pitches. I then played familiar music, repeatedly turning the DSP Studio’s Equalizer on and off.[/size]

[size=12pt]I strongly prefer the equalized sound. I find it easier to pick out details from the music or to listen to the music as a whole, as I choose, and classical music sounds more authentic.[/size]

[size=12pt]One shortcoming of this approach is that J. River Media Center cannot play the tone lists that I generate in NCH Tone Generator, so I can only guess at how much to equalize each frequency. That is why I say “toward” equal loudness.[/size]

[size=12pt]If anyone else tries this experiment, I’d enjoy hearing whether you prefer your music au naturel or processed toward equal loudness.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back