Tour de France 2010
Jul 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #46 of 53

Quote:
Definitely! I thought that we would see a series of epic attacks. It just didn't happen. All in all, a really good Tour...

A really dramatic Tour.
Pity about Cadel Evans's injury, as well as some of the other big favourites struggling. Having several other contenders in the mix would have been interesting. Although the fight for 3rd and 4th is very tense too.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #47 of 53
Yeah, Schleck definitely didn't have the legs to produce any of those quick attacks it seemed. My last hope is that he's not the Luxembourg TT champion for no reason, and can do a ride which is significantly stronger than his prologue placing. Perhaps he was taking it easy on those wet twisty corners that first day and can TT better than that over the long course. He should let the 'stomach full of anger' fuel his legs and see if he can actually put some time into Contador. If I were Alberto, I'd still be quite nervous. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #48 of 53

Quote:
Yeah, Schleck definitely didn't have the legs to produce any of those quick attacks it seemed. My last hope is that he's not the Luxembourg TT champion for no reason, and can do a ride which is significantly stronger than his prologue placing. Perhaps he was taking it easy on those wet twisty corners that first day and can TT better than that over the long course. He should let the 'stomach full of anger' fuel his legs and see if he can actually put some time into Contador. If I were Alberto, I'd still be quite nervous. 

I hope that you're right. Contador has the TT credentials. It's a long shot for Schelck, but Contador certainly has to give it his best...

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #49 of 53
You get the impression that Contador has done enough to win, assuming his form is reasonable in the TT. Hopefully Schleck really goes after it, even if he ends up blowing up at the end of the 50km.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #50 of 53

Quote:
You get the impression that Contador has done enough to win, assuming his form is reasonable in the TT. Hopefully Schleck really goes after it, even if he ends up blowing up at the end of the 50km.

I agree for sure, but he's only done 'just enough' to win. Hardly an attacking, champion-like performance. If that's what's important to him, kudos. I think Schleck has fought harder and seems the more aggressive rider in this year's Tour. Let's keep hoping he can pull off the upset! 

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #51 of 53
Schleck has been a bit more aggressive, although part of that is because he is the one needing to take time. He's been let down by his tactics to a certain extent.

Great champions win and that's what Contador is doing. Of course we all want to see the hard attacks to create time gaps like last year, but either he hasn't had the form or his rivals are much closer to him.

In either case - winning without form or beating close rivals - it is a sign of real quality.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #52 of 53
It didn't turn-out the way that I had fantasized. (Lance going out on top!) However, even though the result was predicted by many, it was one heck of a good race. It certainly looks like there will be plenty of excitement in the post-Lance Tour de France! I bet that we'll see more of Contador vs. Schleck next year! I wish we didn't have the "ceremonial" final stage. They should race like demons until the very end!!!

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #53 of 53
Loved the race today! I thought Schleck was more likely to be just holding off Menchov, but he really took the fight to Contador. Hopefully there will be more of this rivalry in years to come.

Even if we won't see the overall contenders racing each other tomorrow, there is always really good racing on the last day. Lots of breaks trying to get away and the sprinters chasing them down. There's also a green jersey still up for grabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back