Tour de France 2010
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #31 of 53
What bum luck for Schleck... to drop his chain right as he had the legs to attack Contador on the Bales. But, to add fuel to the fire of Contador's arrogance, he attacked today and took advantage of Andy's mechanical. Not a great sportsman IMO. 

I hope Schleck has the strength to hand it to Contador on the final TT and silence that overused 'pistolero' gesture! 

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #32 of 53

Quote:
What bum luck for Schleck... to drop his chain right as he had the legs to attack Contador on the Bales. But, to add fuel to the fire of Contador's arrogance, he attacked today and took advantage of Andy's mechanical. Not a great sportsman IMO. 

I hope Schleck has the strength to hand it to Contador on the final TT and silence that overused 'pistolero' gesture! 

You posted this while I was still watching the analysis on Versus. I completely agree. Those who have won because of the misfortune of others might be winners, but they're never the great champions. Of course, you will have others that say winning is everything.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #33 of 53
Yeah, I can somewhat understand the 'win at all cost' mentality, but I feel like a true champion has some measure of good sportsman conduct. Apparently the pistolero Contador is the former type. I lost several notches of respect for him after this incident. Reading the stage summary on Cyclingnews.com really describes how Contador went for it right past Schleck as he was standing on the side of the road trying to fix his bike. Not cool at all. Hopefully Karma will pay a follow up visit to pistolero.....

From the Cyclingnews daily summary:

"When this quintet was reeled in, Schleck launched a more emphatic attack and quickly opened up a gap. Contador was initially unable to respond but just as it seemed as though Schleck was about to deliver a major blow in the race for yellow the Luxembourger slipped his chain. While he stood at the roadside trying to get his bike sorted out, Contador blasted past him with Sanchez and Menchov on his wheel. For the first time in the stage, the Spaniard had abandoned the game of cat and mouse with Schleck, and in the least appealing of manners."

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #34 of 53
Great win by Voeckler today.

Personally I think that Contador could have done a little more to let Schleck back, but the gap between them at the top of the climb was only about 12 seconds, so I cannot believe that Contador was riding hard and trying to take a large time advantage.

It was interesting to hear the analysts on Eurosport suggest that it was an error by Schleck which caused the problem; their view was that he was taking a risk with the gear he had selected.

In any case, I hope that it is not the deciding incident in this race.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #35 of 53
It sure was a great win by Voeckler. The French definitely have a lot to cheer about this year. Tomorrow should be incredible, and I really look forward to the fireworks coming on all the passes.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #37 of 53
What Contador did was not great sportmanship, but it's allowed so I won't complain about that.

However, after the race he declared that he didn't notice Schleck's mechanical problems, I find that hard to believe. If you're going to be so inconsiderate to take advantage of your opponents mechanical problems then be a man and admit it.

I hope he gets his fair share of karma

this article sums it up nicely
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/Cycling+etiquette+goes+spokes/3297960/story.html

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #38 of 53

Go Lance! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #40 of 53
It sure does... I'm just hoping for something extraordinary from Schleck!

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #41 of 53
I don't like Contador at all. Let's go Schleck!

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #44 of 53
A little disappointed today - not quite the fireworks I was expecting.
I don't think Schleck was ever going to break Contador by just riding hard, he needed the sharp attacks.
On the other hand, perhaps he just wasn't able to attack in that style. Surely now it is Contador's for the taking.

Also well done to Sanchez, Rodriguez and Roche for gaining positions. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #45 of 53

Quote:
A little disappointed today - not quite the fireworks I was expecting.
I don't think Schleck was ever going to break Contador by just riding hard, he needed the sharp attacks.
On the other hand, perhaps he just wasn't able to attack in that style. Surely now it is Contador's for the taking.

Also well done to Sanchez, Rodriguez and Roche for gaining positions. 

Definitely! I thought that we would see a series of epic attacks. It just didn't happen. All in all, a really good Tour...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back