TOUR CLOSED - CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8.2 and Ei.XX
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #226 of 246
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #227 of 246
Participation Rules Clarification
Please remember to do your part as a participant:
  1. Update the Thread: Please keep the thread updated for receipt/condition as well as shipping and impressions. This way the thread remains interesting and allows participants to follow progress to plan for receipt going forward.
  2. Impressions: Impressions help to keep the thread interesting even if you do not like them if you explain why. Sometimes we can help to fix any issues - pairing, cleaning, etc.
  3. Shipping Ontime: It is each participants responsibility to ship out on time on the 8th day. This means actively PMing the next or next 3 participants to get a viable destination prior to the 8th day.
  4. Proper Shipping: It is everyone's responsibility to only ship to a viable participant with follow up info just in case:
    1. NO PO Addresses: Must be a real address where the item can be tracked to a person.
    2. Phone Numbers: Participants must provide phone numbers and emails so that there is a channel of communication in case of issues.
    3. Tracking Number: It is critical to PM a tracking number to the receiving participant so that the recipient can arrange for the receipt - especially with signature required.
    4. Signature Required: To avoid the high cost of insuring, we have opted to go signature required to track receipt to a real individual. This is required in shipping out the kit.
  5. Enjoy: Please enjoy your time with the demo kit. It is a unique experience to be able to hear these fabulous toys in the comfort of your own home and with your music and equipment so please take full advantage and let us know how it works for you.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #228 of 246
Deleted

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #229 of 246
@datranz messaged me on 10/15/17 saying they would send it out 10/16/17. I heard nothing the rest of the week so on 10/20 I asked for an update. @datranz messaged me back on 10/21 saying they sent it out already. I responded 20 minutes after on 10/21 asking for a tracking number. Hearing nothing, I sent another message on 10/25 asking for an update. Hearing nothing, I sent another message on 10/26 asking for an update. @datranz is in Fontana, CA according to the sign-up and I am in San Francisco, CA.

At this time, I have not heard from @datranz since 10/21 and do not yet have tracking information, the service it was shipped with, or the date it was shipped out. Wringing my hands over here hoping the package shows up unharmed (if at all).

10/28/17 1pm PST update: Still no word from @datranz and the package hasn't arrived yet.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #230 of 246
@datranz messaged me on 10/15/17 saying they would send it out 10/16/17. I heard nothing the rest of the week so on 10/20 I asked for an update. @datranz messaged me back on 10/21 saying they sent it out already. I responded 20 minutes after on 10/21 asking for a tracking number. Hearing nothing, I sent another message on 10/25 asking for an update. Hearing nothing, I sent another message on 10/26 asking for an update. @datranz is in Fontana, CA according to the sign-up and I am in San Francisco, CA.

At this time, I have not heard from @datranz since 10/21 and do not yet have tracking information, the service it was shipped with, or the date it was shipped out. Wringing my hands over here hoping the package shows up unharmed (if at all).

10/28/17 1pm PST update: Still no word from @datranz and the package hasn't arrived yet.
Has the package been received yet?

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #231 of 246
A package was just delivered (no signature required :frowning2: ) to my apartment building and left in the lobby. I haven't made it home to pick the package up yet but the tracking email I got from USPS tells me that it came from Fontana, CA (location of @datranz) so I'm hopeful! Tracking number was 9500112858427300141733 and was picked up by USPS on Friday the 27th :frowning2:

I will get home in the next couple hours and post an update confirming whether or not it is the set of headphones.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #232 of 246
Success! IEMs received.
One set of CustomArt Ei.XX IEMs + cable
One set of CustomArt H8.2 IEMs + cable
A whole bunch of foam, silicone, and plasticy tips in lots of Ziploc bags. I can count them later.

Disappointingly, @datranz lied about sending them out, as the USPS label (see picture) and tracking indicate the box was shipped out 3 days ago, on Friday the 27th.

I am 40 on the list in the first post, so @Barra is the only person after me (with number 41). I will reach out to @Barra tonight to arrange shipment to them once my 7 day audition is over (Tuesday, November 7th). I also plan to post more pictures and my impressions over the next few days.

Thanks again to @Barra and CustomArt for organizing and allowing us to participate on this tour!

JD4_4788-Web.jpg JD4_4787-Web.jpg JD4_4784-Web.jpg JD4_4786-Web.jpg JD4_4782-Web.jpg JD4_4781-Web.jpg JD4_4776-Web.jpg JD4_4778-Web.jpg

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #233 of 246
All right, I've had the IEMs for a week but have only been able to use them for about 3 days. I didn't get to play with them as much as I would have hoped, but I think I prefer the sound signature of the Ei.XXs moreso than the Harmony 8.2s. I'm finding I am a bit off a basshead I think and the XXs definitely have a stronger sub-bass presence than the 8.2s. From what I have been able to discern, the 8.2s sound slightly worse in the loud-ish commute, airport and office environments where I've been using them, probably just because they don't isolate enough to appreciate the clearer mids and highs and the wider soundstage. In very quiet environments the 8.2s can bring out these features and have just enough bass, but even so I find myself switching back and forth, not fully convinced the 8.2s sound all that much better.

This could also be largely in part due to the quality of the tips and seals I'm getting. I have very touchy ears and the silicone single-flange tips have been the only included tips I've felt comfortable installing. Everything else has a harder plastic small-diameter nozzle that makes me nervous when trying to install them on either of the IEMs, so I've just been sticking with the silicone tip in one ear and a janky blu-tack ball on the other. I've been careful to keep the putty from coming up too close to the nozzle and it always feels like I get a good fit, but unfortunately I notice a better sound quality across the range when using the silicone tips.

I've still got a little bit more time to mess around tonight and I'm seeing if I can get one extra day due to all the time lost, but if I had to choose one of the two right this second I'd go with the XXs.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #234 of 246
After having some more time to listen to both models, I ended up liking the 8.2 more than I used to after listening to them after a while. In particular, I really came to appreciate the instrument separation and sound stage when compared to the XXs. Everything was just so discernible and detailed. That said though, I think I'd still take the XXs because they weren't bad by any means, and filled in much of the lower end of the spectrum I felt the 8.2s were lacking. They also offered a better listening experience in all but the quietest environments, where the more subtle, measured low end of the 8.2s were drowned out by ambient noise.

Regardless, going back to my SE215s now makes me a sad panda. After getting a chance to hear nice IEMs like the CustomArts, the difference is night and day where before I thought I really enjoyed the SE215s.

Picture time! Please note that I did try to use Blu-tack as a custom ear tip. It worked well from a comfort perspective but sometimes caught hair in it. It also slightly muddied the sound quality and was hard to remove. All said, it was far more comfortable than the silicone SpinFit eartips I was using.
Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/nSSM5

JD4_4853-Web.jpg
JD4_4866-Web.jpg
JD4_4886-Web.jpg
JD4_4893-Web.jpg
JD4_4899-Web.jpg
JD4_4915-Web.jpg
JD4_4926-Web.jpg
JD4_4929-Web.jpg
JD4_4937-Web.jpg
JD4_4944-Web.jpg
JD4_4970-Web.jpg
JD4_5000-Web.jpg
JD4_5027-Web.jpg
JD4_5032-Web.jpg

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #235 of 246
I felt the same way after hearing the universal demo. That the bass on 8.2 could have been better. The custom fit changed all that. The bass is very very good now.

And I don't have any ambient noise issues as I use mu custom fit harmony 8.2 at work a lot. In fact once I insert this iem into my ears, it cuts off the noise, leaving only the music.

8.2 grows slowly on the listener. Piotr has done an outstanding job.

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #237 of 246
So, just out of curiosity, who here that was a part of the demo decided to either buy the XX or the 8.2 after hearing them? I know I made a choice almost on the first day lol :p I can't be the only one :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #238 of 246
@muffins Thanks! I used a Nikon D4 and a Nikon Micro 60mm f/2.8G.

My wallet would be half as happy, if the Massdrop is anything to go by ($625 vs 1100 Euro?). But it doesn't look to be for sale unfortunately! Do you know what the deal is for the Ei.XXs?

Whoops. also just sent out the IEMs today to @Barra, the next/last stop on the list.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #240 of 246
After having some more time to listen to both models, I ended up liking the 8.2 more than I used to after listening to them after a while. In particular, I really came to appreciate the instrument separation and sound stage when compared to the XXs. Everything was just so discernible and detailed. That said though, I think I'd still take the XXs because they weren't bad by any means, and filled in much of the lower end of the spectrum I felt the 8.2s were lacking. They also offered a better listening experience in all but the quietest environments, where the more subtle, measured low end of the 8.2s were drowned out by ambient noise.

Regardless, going back to my SE215s now makes me a sad panda. After getting a chance to hear nice IEMs like the CustomArts, the difference is night and day where before I thought I really enjoyed the SE215s.

Picture time! Please note that I did try to use Blu-tack as a custom ear tip. It worked well from a comfort perspective but sometimes caught hair in it. It also slightly muddied the sound quality and was hard to remove. All said, it was far more comfortable than the silicone SpinFit eartips I was using.
Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/nSSM5

Thanks for sound impressions. Those are some gorgeous pictures! Nice!
So, just out of curiosity, who here that was a part of the demo decided to either buy the XX or the 8.2 after hearing them? I know I made a choice almost on the first day lol :p I can't be the only one :)
I would say quite a few, we certainly had customers referencing the demo tour.
@muffins Thanks! I used a Nikon D4 and a Nikon Micro 60mm f/2.8G.

My wallet would be half as happy, if the Massdrop is anything to go by ($625 vs 1100 Euro?). But it doesn't look to be for sale unfortunately! Do you know what the deal is for the Ei.XXs?

Whoops. also just sent out the IEMs today to @Barra, the next/last stop on the list.
Well the drop should be happening any day now, today or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back