Tough Bill to Fill - Headphones for ~$150-$230 with Specific Conditions
Jan 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chickenparm1223

New Head-Fier
O.K., so I am still fairly new to high-end headphones, so please keep that in mind. I am also running on a budget of ~$150-$230. I am willing to go over this, but it MUST be worth it.

I primarily listen to music on either my HTC DROID Incredible (with PowerAMP) or my iPod Touch (2nd Gen). My desktop also has a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card with Bose Companion II speakers that I got as a gift a few years ago. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser CX 475, which really don't have a lot of bass, despite being marketed as "Massive Bass."

I am looking for a nice pair of headphones (obviously), but I have a specific list of criteria that they must be able to fill:

• They must have nice sound with GOOD, RICH BASS that doesn't drown everything else out. I  am a bass fan, but I also appreciate the entire range of sounds. I do NOT want headphones that drown out the mids and highs in favor of the bass. I listen to a lot of music that often has a lot of bass, but I will also be using these with my computer for gaming with games like TESV: Skyrim and other offline RPG games.
  • They must be able to be driven by my phone and iPod and still sound good. I am still in high school, and I really don't want to be carrying around a portable headphone amp just to listen to my music. I would be willing to get a portable amp to use around my house, with my computer, ect, but I really don't want the headphones to require one.
  • While not required, noise cancellation or isolation would be a plus.
  • I don't want too much sound leakage, if any. I could probably live with it if I needed to, but I would feel like I was disturbing others around me if they leaked too much, especially if I ever take them out in public.

PowerAmp on my phone does have a built in EQ, but I have no idea how to use it and I usually just use the "Bass Booster" preset, and my iPod is also usually on "Bass Booster" as well.

Currently, I have a pair of Sony XB700s on order, but they are backordered for an unknown amount of time. I am looking for opinions on whether I should cancel this order and buy something else or just wait it out.

-Thank You for your time and help!

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I just read a review HERE talking about the HD-25 I II saying

Quote:
Bass - I really like the bass on these cans. I did list them as a con, because the bass is very tight and very detailed but lacks a good deal of ooomph. Again, when I put my ES7 on, the bass hits with much more authority. So if you like sub woofer type sound, you might look elsewhere. That said, the bass is pretty solid and like I said is detailed. Just not enough for my taste.

I'm assuming he/she is talking about the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. They are $230 on Amazon right now. I like "oomph" in my bass, but I don;t necessarily want it to be so strong that it hurts my ears.

I could also get the following from Amazon for $214.69:
  1. This item: Sennheiser HD25-1 II Closed-Back Headphones by Sennheiser $185.80
  2. FiiO L3 Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by FiiO $8.40
  3. FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier $20.49

Any suggestions?

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Apologies for the late response. Not sure if you already made a decision. However in regards to the HD-25-1 II and portable audio devices, all the stuff I read on here said that portable devices will drive the HD 25-1 II just fine without any additional amplification and I assume it is due to their sensitivity.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Apologies for the late response. Not sure if you already made a decision. However in regards to the HD-25-1 II and portable audio devices, all the stuff I read on here said that portable devices will drive the HD 25-1 II just fine without any additional amplification and I assume it is due to their sensitivity.

It's no problem. No, I have not picked yet, but I am leaning away from the HD-25s because I realized that they would probably be extremely uncomfortable with glasses on, and I would be using my headphones with my computer and I need glasses when I use my computer. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back