Touchy ipod touch volume control - updated
Jan 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
Gah!.

So It took me the longest time to get my hands on a 32gb Touch.. (long story, for another time maybe).

I got it monday night, let it warm up (it was very cold due to our inclement weather.)

I plugged it in yesterday and went to adjust the volume control, and i find the problem.. the down volume requires a reasonably firm push and provides a tactile click sensation when pressed. The UP volume however starts to increase the volume with the lightest of touches, andwell before the tactile click.

It increases the volume if anything touched the volume up button at all.. so in my pocket the volume is constantly being increased with any contact.

I'm taking it to my local apple store tonight. That should be fun eh?

I'm sure they'll try and convince me it's a "feature"
smily_headphones1.gif

Am I being too fussy perhaps? I'd like them to replace or fix it.. preferably replace it as it's brand new.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 13
That does sound odd, Mine doesn't act that way. And no your not being to fussy, You paid for it you should get a flawless Ipod. I heard this guy once say he had a problem with his Ipod Touch. So he went to a apple store & they replaced it without question. Let's hope they do they same with you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Only Issue I can see it that I bought it off amazon, thru an amazon merchant, but it was sealed in it's case and needed activation when i turned it on, so it's definitely new.

Well i have an appointment at the Genius bar tonight.

I'll report back later with my experience.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Remember, it's the funniest ipod ever. Maybe this is all just part of the humour.

I have one coming in the mail as well so I'll compare when mine arrives. Good luck with the genii at apple though.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 13
I presume you picked up a touch 2g new. Please do not return to the Apple store for examination, a refurb will be given to you VS a new unit. I suggest waiting 24 hrs to see if perhaps the cold weather perhaps temporarily impaired functionality to the unit's operation.

Call the Apple tech support, open a case explaining the details, and work towards having the Mfr send you a replacement. This is the sure fire way to obtain a brand new unit from production with the full warranty.

Hope this helps, shoot me a PM with questions where appropriate.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Ugh, i think i'll put my foot down and ask for a new one.. If they won't give me a new one, seeing as it was defective when i got it.. I think a call to apple will be in order.

Don't apple refurbs come with the same warranty as new anyway? I've heard good things about apple refurbs, so what's to fear?

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 13
I love refurbs way more than new ones. They look brand new, act brand new, and I have extreme OCD about stuff like this, yet they pass with flying colors (and I know if they'll work within seconds of getting it; they allow you to synce to the Macs in the store). They're great, swap the unit out for one of them if it proves to be defective.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Outstanding.

So I took the Touch into the store, and they offered me a replacement "new" player.. when I asked what they meant by new, they said well it'll be a refurbished replacement. I was understandably upset, and asked why as I had a defective unit out of the box, would I not get a straight swap for a new one. Well it seems that apple has 2 levels of warranty. One if you buy it from an apple store, and one if you buy it from anyone else. Basically they said that as I bought it else where all i could get was a refurb'd replacement.

I was told this was standard policy across apple store and applecare, so i agreed, VERY begrudgingly to that.An order was placed for a replament, as they had none in stock (!)

Well I got home and figured, what the heck I'll call apple and ask.. and they said, no, there are no refurbs for 32GB touches out there, so I'd get a new one if I sent it in to them.

So I did, cancelled the order at the store and mailed it to apple.

Well today I get an email from apple, saying their technicians cannot replicate the fault and they will be returning the original item to me, unfixed.

Back to the Apple store I guess.. right now i am 100% unimpressed with Apple to put it mildly.
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 13
I put a silicone skin on my Touch 2G, which may or may not solve your "touchy" volume up issue. Makes it harder to adjust the volume, which is okay with me.

You mean you just rest your finger on the up volume and it goes up? Without pushing it? If so, that's very strange. I do agree, the up and down volume is very jerky, not smooth at all. But I haven't had the volume control move in my pocket. You do lock it when you put it in your pocket, right? A quick push on the power button. Otherwise, that sucks.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 13
Exactly that tstarn, even when locked, the slightest touch will increase the volume. I know a case with a cut out around the controls would help, but well I'd rather have one that works right, you know
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a bad button, but aparrently the "technicians" at apple are unable to see that it's faulty.

The down button has a tactile click when you press it and requires a reasonable amount of pressure to activate it. The up button.. well even if I brush it while holding the Touch, up goes the volume. There is a click if i push harder on the button (as with the down volume button) but it shouldn't be adjusting the volume without that click as far as im concerned.

I'll report back once i get it back and traipse all the wasy back to the apple store *again*.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 13
Wow, you must have really gotten some monkeys. By the way, I bought my old iPod (it was the newest model back then) from apple.com, and when I took it to the Apple store, I still got a refurb unit.

Best you try and take it back to a different Apple store and see what they say.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm taking it back to the same store. The next nearest store is like an hour drive away. I'm more annoyed that the "technicians" couldn't see the issue, So far it's taken long enough that I can no longer return the Ipod to the Merchant I bought it from, so my brand spanking new Ipod touch, the supposed top of the range, is going to be a refurb, before I really get to use it.. and that sucks, frankly.

Updates will follow, no doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back