Touch v. iPhone
Apr 29, 2008 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
hey, I am about to buy one of these two products and I have one question left.
I have heard that the iphone has some audio problems because of GSM buzz, a buzz that occurs with the playback of some devices due to the cell phone capabilities of the player.
I will be using the line out for audio playback, into an amp, then into headphones. I sometimes will just use a cheap pair of headphones from the headphone jack.

Is the GSM buzz a problem using a line out as I mentioned, or is it just a problem with certain peripherals (cheap "made for ipod" speakers seem to be the main culprit)?
Other than that, I think I will go with the iphone, although I think it is a bit larger and the flash space is terrible. Does anyone know if another (bigger) iphone will be coming out soon?

P.S. where would be the best place (price wise) to buy these things?

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 14
Even a website with some info would be nice...

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 14
I am sorry but I beg to differ with a majority of the people here. The iPod Touch I had sounded like garbage and it was brand new. I instantly sold that DAP a few days after I got it. It sounded like something out of the dollar store. The iPod's sound quality really has declined over these years. I had the 16GB model, like I said, brand new, and it sounded horrible. The volume at its highest (for craps n giggles) sounded like the people were screeching and when it was low it sounded muffled and just no treble or bass at all. It sounded very bland and boring. Even my 2GB Sansa Clip provides MUCH better detail, bass, treble, all without a EQ. I was using Sony MDR-EX90LP headphones for the record.

I also think the iPod Touch and iPhone are COMPLETELY overrated. If you're looking for DAP, I think you should look elsewhere honestly. If you want a DAP with phone like features, the Nokia Nxx lines look really good. (N72, N80, etc)

The iPhone is overhyped and a rip off which I might add. I don't want to sound like I am bashing but this is my own opinion.

Right now my setup is Sony MDR-EX71SLA's with a 2GB Sansa Clip. I really would like to step up to a Zune or Creative and get better headphones, but unfortunately I had too hand the money I got back from the iPod to someone I owed for something.

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 14
The touch's sq is okay but only with line-out. Out of those two, definitely get the iphone no matter what if you can. Trust me, I had both and the iphone is so much better. It just makes sense b/c both suck as daps and if you think about it, the touch is more like a pda, not very practical for what you pay. The number 1 reason people don't like the touch is because it's not an iphone.

Quite simply, if an iphone is a priority over audio, get the iphone. If you want a dap, get neither b/c as daps, they really are horrible and overpriced. But as "the iphone", it's worth every penny.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 14
This has been debated a lot. If you plan on sitting down and seriouly listening to music, than neither of the two I would recommend. But, if you are using it to walk on campus, ect...then either is fine. They both sound the same out of the headphone. And when you walk, you get a lot of other sounds mixed in, so its obviously not going to be worth investing is a serious rig. Those are just my thoughts, take them for what its worth to you.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 14
And to say that they sound "like garbage" is seriously underrating them too.
rolleyes.gif
I've used my brother's 32gb 'itouch' and a friends 16gb iphone before and neither sounded "horrible". The liberal use of exaggeration on this forum is rather frightening but more importantly misleading.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm uding my iphone's line-out and I totally digg it. It's my ultimate portable rig so far.

I think the ipods are one of the best DAPs out there, especially when you use the line-out. Very clean, neutral and everything. They just have a reputation since older ipod models were not that good.

Greetz

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to say that they sound "like garbage" is seriously underrating them too.
rolleyes.gif
I've used my brother's 32gb 'itouch' and a friends 16gb iphone before and neither sounded "horrible". The liberal use of exaggeration on this forum is rather frightening but more importantly misleading.

I'm sorry but I would rather put my money into something with more features and better SQ then a DAP that everyone and their grandmother has where the SQ is terrible and has nothing innovative nor interest to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but I would rather put my money into something with more features and better SQ then a DAP that everyone and their grandmother has where the SQ is terrible and has nothing innovative nor interest to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have absolutely no issue with you not liking Apple's DAP. You've stated legitimate reasons. What I'm not so happy about is the gross exaggeration used. To say that something sounds "terrible", "horrible" or "like garbage" are very strong statements which I'm pretty sure you'll find very difficult to qualify. Anyone with vague experience with high end sources will tell you that the iPod range don't sound "terrible", "horrible" or "like garbage". Anyhow, it would help if you could elaborate on what "horrible", "terrible" or "like garbage" sounds like. "Horrible" doesn't sound like anything to me.

I'm sorry for being so picky with words, but that's all we have got.

EDIT: and I see that you have qualified what "garbage" means to you. Apologies. Your "garbage" sounds pretty acceptable to me.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry that the multi-touch screen is not innovative to you, and since it doesn't interest you no one else should enjoy it either.

Quote:

I am sorry but I beg to differ with a majority of the people here. The iPod Touch I had sounded like garbage and it was brand new. I instantly sold that DAP a few days after I got it. It sounded like something out of the dollar store. The iPod's sound quality really has declined over these years. I had the 16GB model, like I said, brand new, and it sounded horrible. The volume at its highest (for craps n giggles) sounded like the people were screeching and when it was low it sounded muffled and just no treble or bass at all. It sounded very bland and boring. Even my 2GB Sansa Clip provides MUCH better detail, bass, treble, all without a EQ. I was using Sony MDR-EX90LP headphones for the record.

I also think the iPod Touch and iPhone are COMPLETELY overrated. If you're looking for DAP, I think you should look elsewhere honestly. If you want a DAP with phone like features, the Nokia Nxx lines look really good. (N72, N80, etc)

The iPhone is overhyped and a rip off which I might add. I don't want to sound like I am bashing but this is my own opinion.

Right now my setup is Sony MDR-EX71SLA's with a 2GB Sansa Clip. I really would like to step up to a Zune or Creative and get better headphones, but unfortunately I had too hand the money I got back from the iPod to someone I owed for something.

Are you serious? Overhyped? iPods are the least overhyped DAPs on this forum. If anything, the products with the most hype are the Sansas and the Cowons, not that they don't have the merit, they are great value. Nokia phones as DAPs are better than the iPhone? Where have you heard that? I would like proof. The only Nokia phone worthy of being used as a DAP right now are the N91 and N95, yes I have heard both and N72 and N82.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 14
I have an iPod Touch (32GB) and I love it. I would get an iPhone, but everyone I call is on Verizon and you can't use an iPhone (without jailbreaking, which I'm not interested in) with Verizon. When they do finally open it up to other carriers I'll probably get an iPhone.

The iTouch is great. Everything I need: great little DAP for the commute to work (bus and walk) keeps e-mails; good web browser; some contacts/calendar functions and a fun to use interface.

Is it the end-all, be-all audio device? Far from it. But with my E500 out of the headphone out, I get sound that's good enough for me. The line out is pretty good too, but I use that less.

My personal opinion about portable audio is that when you go portable you make sacrifices....with that in mind I've never owned an iPod I didn't like. I've never owned anything else either, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 14
all right, nobody has actually answered the question of GSM buzz with the iphone, so I'll assume it is not a problem.
myonly question at all is- can I use an unlocked iphone with verizon even though verizon does not use sim cards? Is there any way around this?

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 14
There used to be a way to use the iPhone with Verizon that involved a lot of soldering and voiding of warranty. But I don't think even that works now after several firmware upgrades.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all right, nobody has actually answered the question of GSM buzz with the iphone, so I'll assume it is not a problem.
myonly question at all is- can I use an unlocked iphone with verizon even though verizon does not use sim cards? Is there any way around this?

One is GSM and the other is CDMA. I have serious doubts on the kind of hack job that will be needed to make it work.

And I have a touch, and have pretty decent hearing. It's not great, but it's definitely not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back