TOTL-ish balanced IEM with the most realistic timbre?
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #31 of 35
If Timbre is your biggest concern, especially acoustic instruments, the IEM I recommend is the RHA CL2 Planar.
I have owned a lot of IEMs, some TOTL in different price brackets, BAs, Dynamic Drivers, Hybrids, and they all for the most part do different things right, but acoustic timbre is something they all for the most part get wrong. The RHA is the one IEM that gets this right, having said that, it also sounds very different than any other IEM on head-fi.
That might be a great thing, like it is for me, or it might be a deal breaker... for you...only one way to find out.
ADD: Use it with a decent copper cable for best results.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #32 of 35
The closest I got to realistic timbre would be Empire Ears Phantom. I liked them so much that I sold the universals to get the customs.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #33 of 35
Has anyone who has the ZMF Auteur found an IEM that is somewhat comparable?
Don't know how comparable they are, but a friend of mine recommended I get the Auteur if I were ever to get headphones because of how much I love the EE Phantom (he has both). The Phantom are quite warm, but have some of the best timbre available. They were pretty much tuned to achieve that. You do need to like a warmer, lusher sound.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #34 of 35
I would second the EE Phantoms. I've got the a12t as well which are awesome but lacks the lovely rich midrange of the Phantom. You do loose some energy and extension up top and get some midbass bloat but it sure is an easy listen. Love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back