TOTL IEMs for Trance and Rap - Recommendations
Sep 16, 2019 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

solstice15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, as the title states, I listen primarily to trance (edm) and rap music and tend to favor headphones with

- good, but not overly fatiguing bass/sub bass presence
- fast, detailed, good instrument separation
- minimal sibilance, no painful highs
- clear, decent soundstage

I realize that's quite a list, but I'm open to anything that can be had used or new for about 2500 USD or less (~2k would be the sweet spot)

I've typically just gone with the latest flagship offering from Noble, and was about to just get the khans, but saw that the high end IEM market has expanded quite a bit since I last took a critical look.

Comparisons for the signature I tend to like:
Focal Utopia (current daily driver at home, my ideal, weighty, fast, detailed, ample bass presence)
Fostex TH900 (a past favorite of mine, fun and weighty)

Noble Kaiser Encore - what I intend to replace, or perhaps complement, I love these but I'm getting the upgrade itch
Noble K10 - great, I still keep them around when I want more bass, but prefer the encores for daily use

Noble Katana - Not really a fan, they're great at what they do, but a bit too sterile and grown up for my taste

I'd appreciate any recs, in addition to the khan, Tia Trio, IER-Z1R, and Andromeda have popped onto my radar...would any of these be a good fit?

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi, as the title states, I listen primarily to trance (edm) and rap music and tend to favor headphones with

- good, but not overly fatiguing bass/sub bass presence
- fast, detailed, good instrument separation
- minimal sibilance, no painful highs
- clear, decent soundstage

I realize that's quite a list, but I'm open to anything that can be had used or new for about 2500 USD or less (~2k would be the sweet spot)

I've typically just gone with the latest flagship offering from Noble, and was about to just get the khans, but saw that the high end IEM market has expanded quite a bit since I last took a critical look.

Comparisons for the signature I tend to like:
Focal Utopia (current daily driver at home, my ideal, weighty, fast, detailed, ample bass presence)
Fostex TH900 (a past favorite of mine, fun and weighty)

Noble Kaiser Encore - what I intend to replace, or perhaps complement, I love these but I'm getting the upgrade itch
Noble K10 - great, I still keep them around when I want more bass, but prefer the encores for daily use

Noble Katana - Not really a fan, they're great at what they do, but a bit too sterile and grown up for my taste

I'd appreciate any recs, in addition to the khan, Tia Trio, IER-Z1R, and Andromeda have popped onto my radar...would any of these be a good fit?
CA Solaris have much better low end punch than Andromeda. I'm not a fan of BA iems, cu I feel like I'm missing something, especially with hip-hop. Solaris reaches deep, but is fast, and the BAs for the kids and highs are very nice. Atlas. Kicks like a mule, but may be too much bass based off of what you are saying. Solaris is a great everyday, IMO. They're just big, so you need the right tips that seal, without having to shove the nozle in deep due to the size

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, I'll look into the solaris!

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 6
You should check out posts in the portable section for more feedback. There's cases of lots of variance for the Solaris. You could get a great one or one that's awful.

Most of those posts are from some time back. I can't say for certain, but it seems as if Campfire has tightened up the build tolerance.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 6
There was only one report of variance, from a reviewer who heard two different units in two different shops.
No one else was able to replicate.
Long story short, the controversy petered out. Solaris is highly regarded by most owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back