TOTL Headphones have non-removable cables
May 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GoodGucciGoo

100+ Head-Fier
This is a question that bugs me for a while. Some of the TOTL headphones don't have removable cables, like Fostex TH900, Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p. Isn't it more convenient if the headphone cable is removable? I'm not sure if designing headphones in this fashion will provide any sonic advantage over the other.

May 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Some would argue that hardwired cables sound better than detachable ones...but I haven't seen any objective data to confirm this. Another notable example of hardwired cables in high-end headphones is the electrostatic "earspeaker" manufacturer STAX.

May 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 13
  Some would argue that hardwired cables sound better than detachable ones...but I haven't seen any objective data to confirm this. Another notable example of hardwired cables in high-end headphones is the electrostatic "earspeaker" manufacturer STAX.

Is it also reasonable to assume that hardwired cable costs less? That might be why manufactures prefer this design over the detachable one? I just would be really upset if my cable broke off then I would need to get a pair of new cans to replace the old while if the cable is detachable, I can easily replace my cable.

May 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 13
  Is it also reasonable to assume that hardwired cable costs less? That might be why manufactures prefer this design over the detachable one? I just would be really upset if my cable broke off then I would need to get a pair of new cans to replace the old while if the cable is detachable, I can easily replace my cable.

Well, you don't have to replace the headphones. You can have them repaired. If it's still under warranty, it can even be for free. Or someone who knows how to solder can fix it. Some audio cable companies have options available as well.

The hardwired cables on expensive headphones are very sturdy, though, so it's unlikely you would break them with home use.

For what it's worth, I talked to a former Sennheiser engineer who claims hardwired cables sound more like live music...but then again, he's selling cables now...

A significant percentage of the headphones I have owned (including the ones I'm listening to right now) have hardwired cables...but for now it doesn't matter much to me either way. I am curious about certain aftermarket cables for certain high-end headphones, but won't experiment with that anytime soon.

May 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 13

A significant percentage of the headphones I have owned (including the ones I'm listening to right now) have hardwired cables...but for now it doesn't matter much to me either way. I am curious about certain aftermarket cables for certain high-end headphones, but won't experiment with that anytime soon.

lol would you be more specific on which headphones are you looking at?

May 20, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 13
  lol would you be more specific on which headphones are you looking at?

Well, I've owned a lot of them, and used to want lots more...but now I reduced my wish list to only a few. The only high-end headphone with detachable cables I still want (at this time) is the Abyss AB-1266. Many users have experienced better sound with certain aftermarket cables.

May 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 13
  I'm really tempting to buy Beyer T5p or Fostex TH900. Though both of them have newer versions that have detached cables, the original ones with hardwired cables are cheaper.

I'm curious how the TH-900mk2 compares to the original!

(Obviously, comparing two different headphones is different than only comparing between hardwired and detachable cables, though.)

May 20, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 13
  Abyss AB-1266 is TOP :)

hehe, I like how you popped up here! I've seen your video review. Wish you compared it (in detail) to the STAX SR-009, though. (If you ever do, PM me the link or something!)

I was actually planning on getting the Abyss from Woo Audio when the time comes thanks to the free headphone stand you include.
devil_face.gif

but the look lol

Although I generally prefer more sophisticated aesthetics, I think it looks cool! (I know most just think it's ugly.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back