TOTL Closed Back Comfort
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

inseconds99

500+ Head-Fier
I am in search of an end game can that can be a chameleon, something that is an all around we. Below is my goals for the headphone.

ALL DAY COMFORT
ALL DAY COMFORT
ALL DAY COMFORT

Non-Fatiguing
- go too song for checking is Clipse Grindin. that loud constant piercing clap in the beat is my hot point. Whatever frequency that is, is where I have an issue. That frequency causes me to lower the volume because it causes tinnitus.

Great Imaging and staging for a closed back.

Bass enough for modern music but not TH-900, X00, Z1R or similar (have owned all, too much bass bleeds into mids)

Must be a Great Gaming can!!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 36
DCA Noire would be my choice for sound and comfort.

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 36
What do you consider comfortable? I, for example, can wear Audezes or my HE-500 all day with no issue. Where do your preferences lie?

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 36
DCA Noire would be my choice for sound and comfort.
Agreed or A2C. Both great choices that check all the boxes the OP is looking for.

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 36
What do you consider comfortable? I, for example, can wear Audezes or my HE-500 all day with no issue. Where do your preferences lie?
HD800S, SHP9500, TH900/X00, Z1R, X2HR… in that order. All very comfortable. Light headphones, lighter clamp, large/deep cups, minimal pressure on jaw

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 36
I've been using the DCA Aeon RT (comfort should be equal to other Aeon cans since headband and pads are identical) all day every day for a good chunk of this year (more than half). That means about 8 hours for work and then some hours more for playing games or watching something.
Important factor about the Aeon's headband however is that it cannot be easily deformed permanently. Because the material is a memory shape alloy, it will retain it's pressure level even when stretched. If your head happens to be too large and the clamp is uncomfortable, there is no realistic chance of adjusting the clamp.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 36
Audioquest Nighthawk or A&K T5P gen 1. T5P gen 1 was like clouds on my head- despite being a full sized closed back headphone (though not heavy - very light) I couldn't feel them on my head at all. If the Gen 2 T5P has the same earpads as the gen 1 then I recommend it. T5P gen 1 had a well balanced sound, not totally neutral but in my opinion close enough to it. the sense of space, soundstage width, detail and imaging capabilities of T5P gen 1 I had was exceptional for a closed back, insane levels of detail I could hear in recordings. Recommended. The only thing is you would have to buy an adapter for it so you could use it with non A&K products and amps as the cable terminates in a 2.55mm balanced connection, if I remember correctly. The only reason I parted with the T5P was because I also had the T70 250 ohm which to my ears had a tighter, more balanced, audiophile sound that I prefer.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 36
Audioquest Nighthawk or A&K T5P gen 1. T5P gen 1 was like clouds on my head- despite being a full sized closed back headphone (though not heavy - very light) I couldn't feel them on my head at all. If the Gen 2 T5P has the same earpads as the gen 1 then I recommend it. T5P gen 1 had a well balanced sound, not totally neutral but in my opinion close enough to it. the sense of space, soundstage width, detail and imaging capabilities of T5P gen 1 I had was exceptional for a closed back, insane levels of detail I could hear in recordings. Recommended. The only thing is you would have to buy an adapter for it so you could use it with non A&K products and amps as the cable terminates in a 2.55mm balanced connection, if I remember correctly. The only reason I parted with the T5P was because I also had the T70 250 ohm which to my ears had a tighter, more balanced, audiophile sound that I prefer.
I will def look into these suggestions. My question with any product is the fatigue factor in the treble and upper mids as well as the bass presence for modern music.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 36
Meze Liric fits the bill.
Super comfortable, non fatiguing Sound, strong Bass but not on fostex or z1r level.

Looks like the perfect fit for your needs

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 36
Meze Liric fits the bill.
Super comfortable, non fatiguing Sound, strong Bass but not on fostex or z1r level.

Looks like the perfect fit for your needs
+1.

It's very comfortable, lighter than any TOTL headphones I know of (it's under 400g), build quality is incredible and really good for games. I plat Dota 2 nearly every night and when I get the last hits from the creeps the gold "caching" sounds on a different level. It's also easy to drive compared to other TOTL headphones but can keep on getting better as you with super high end DACS.

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 36
I will def look into these suggestions. My question with any product is the fatigue factor in the treble and upper mids as well as the bass presence for modern music.
I think you should separate your music from gaming cans. Have used and listened to Audeze gaming planar. Good sound, sounded good with games, but I noticed the audio blended. No real positional cues. Recently picked up VZR MODEL one to be my gaming and media cans, and I love them. Good spacial audio and good cues while playing fps, etc. No simulated mess, just the way they ha e drivers setup up, and proprietary function for good analog cues for video and gaming.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 36
I just checked out the song you mention in your first post, it seems like you may want to avoid bright sounding headphones, or headphones with an emphasised treble response. I know what it's like to have Tinnitus - I have Pulsating Tinnitus, yeah it's a real bummer! I have to take long breaks from listening or it gets louder, lol, this is where my AKG K702's come in handy as they are quiet no matter what source I use them with, but I still hear everything with them at low volumes. If you have Tinnitus I would not recommend powerful planar magnetic headphones, my Fostex TH500RP is not good for my Pulsating Tinnitus, with it's powerful drivers demanding high volume levels. The T5P gen 1 I had, had a smoother treble response than all but 1 of the other Beyerdynamic's I have heard (smoother than T70 250 ohm, DT990 250, DT880 600 ohm but the DT150 100 ohm I had was pretty smooth in the treble).

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 36
I just checked out the song you mention in your first post, it seems like you may want to avoid bright sounding headphones, or headphones with an emphasised treble response. I know what it's like to have Tinnitus - I have Pulsating Tinnitus, yeah it's a real bummer! I have to take long breaks from listening or it gets louder, lol, this is where my AKG K702's come in handy as they are quiet no matter what source I use them with, but I still hear everything with them at low volumes. If you have Tinnitus I would not recommend powerful planar magnetic headphones, my Fostex TH500RP is not good for my Pulsating Tinnitus, with it's powerful drivers demanding high volume levels. The T5P gen 1 I had, had a smoother treble response than all but 1 of the other Beyerdynamic's I have heard (smoother than T70 250 ohm, DT990 250, DT880 600 ohm but the DT150 100 ohm I had was pretty smooth in the treble).
Thank you for taking a listen to that song. That defined clap every second throughout the song is piercing to me. I’d like to find out what frequency that is so I can check a graph before buying any headphone lol.

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 36
Thoughts on Verite closed?

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 36
HD800S are light, very comfortable, and amazing for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back