Totally unrelated to anything else..... HDD rails for older Thermaltake/Antec cases?
Jul 5, 2016 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
I still rock one of these. I build all my new systems into it beacuse I love it just as much as i did in 2004.

If thre's a better site for me to ask this on, feel free to let me know. It's a Xaser III from 2003 or 2004, bought new. still in awesome shape and has the original fan controller.

Problem 1: two of the fans are whining, can kill the whine by adjust the speed on the fan controller, but it's not an actual "fix".

Problem 2: I only have 2 sets of HD rails. People on ebay are selling them for nearly $20 a set. There must be a way to get these cheaper? I have about 6 drives that need to get in this machine somehow.

I think these antec ones were compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Antec-Hard-Drive-Mounting-Rails-Screws-SONATA-Case-/291786153084?hash=item43efcf5c7c:g:UkYAAOSwepJXV60q

any help would be MUCH appreciated.....

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 2
About the fans, you could try checking the screws and see if anything unscrewed in time. I mean take the fan out, take down the little sticker in the center, take off the cap (if there is one) and see if it's unscrewed a bit. If it's not, then you might just want to take it out and use some sort of lubricant on it. I recommend fluid grease, but be very careful not to get it on the motor or any other parts.

If you don't care about how the HDDs are staying inside of the case, you can just screw them onto the lateral panel. I did that with a bunch of the WD Purple  HDDs for the makeshift NAS at work.

There were way too many to fit in the normal HDD rack of an Antec P9, so I just put holes in the lateral panel on the inside of the case and put a bunch three of them there. Wire management is a bit weird, but you can pull it along the same panel and tie them up with cable ties so they don't dangle everywhere.

You could always measure them and search by the size, mounting rails or mounting brackets or any sort of adapter for this aren't very hard to find. There are a bunch of cheap mounting rails, though, but I have no idea if they are compatible. Like these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back