Totally new to this. Need advice!
Oct 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Demp-C

New Head-Fier
Hello, been wondering around here for while reading articles and such and decided I would sign up and see if i could get some questions answered myself. I am completely new to this. I have a love for all kinds of music and want more in the world to have the most balanced sound to listen too. I am not one that is big into all the bass and have the hi's and mid's drowned out. i like the bass, with balance! I currently have the Shure SRH840 for my cans. After reading on here, it seems that i can make these sound even better. I don't know where to even start. Amp, DAC, etc. Truthfully, I don't even understand that. lol I mainly listen to music on my iphone, ipod, and computer. I am thinking I don't need some huge $1000 setup. So please help me get started. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 8
So...no welcoming committee. lol. I have come across the JDSLabs cMoyBB. Would this be enough? 

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 8
 There will probably be more info needed from your end to even begin suggesting what would suit your needs. What genres of music do you listen to? What type of digital files do you use? MP3s, FLAC, ALAC etc. If you listen from your PC a lot, perhaps a cheaper beginners DAC and a small amp would get you started. What is your budget? If all you want is more power to drive your headphones then, yes, the Cmoy is suppposed to be a good starting place as it is decent and affordable.
 Fill in some blanks if you want advice. Folks are really terrible at mind reading :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 8
You may need one unit AMPs, DAC combo for ipods and PC use like AMPs part iPods and AMPs, DAC both for PC use through USB, I will recommend the XM6, Pico and iBasso D12. BTW you can use separat units for each(IMO it,s better) likie iBasso D7 (you can pair this with C421 for even better soundquality) for PC use only and JDS Labs C421(very good sounding AMPs better than Fiios) for iPods.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 8
@Dojomoto,

cans - Shure SRH840
main source - Sansa Clip Zip 4gb
genres - everything literally
files - Rhapsody files type (thinking it is mp3), hell idk
budget - I want something that is gonna last and produce well. Of course, the cheaper the better, but WILL NOT pay for crap.

I am not necessarily looking for more power (louder). Just more balance. My 840's stand out in the highs and mids. I really lacks in the bass. I dont want the bas to drown everything out tho, but would like to hear it to balance it out. 

@ZARIM,

I appreciate the advice. I will look into the ones you suggested and read up on them. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Hey thanks. I will prob be getting it soon. If not i was looking to spend a little more and get the c421. Who knows. Decision,decisions?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back