totally new to DACs and speakers... help!
Nov 29, 2006 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
alright here's the deal... i've been surfing headfi for about 2 years now and you guys have been awesome and super helpful! i am now a happy owner of several fine pair of headphones. unfortunately... after a 6 month hiatus, i come back wanting a little more. =(

i'm looking to build a cheap speaker setup for my room... my interest was piqued by these. apparently people on this forum and audioasylum have been raving about the quality and price. unfortunately, i don't know anything about speakers. most of my music is digital, either on my computer or ipod. how would i connect it? do i need a receiver? i was looking at the sony SCD-CE595, which i'm assuming does not need a receiver.

alright, i admit it. i'm in bad shape. i don't know where to start, and i don't understand technical terms. also, i'm a super poor college student, so i'd like to spend as little money as possible. any help would be appreciated.
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 12
How much are you looking to spend?
What type of music do you listen to?

I did it the reverse way: Speakers this summer/Headphones this fall
wink.gif

Since you are on a budget you might want to look into a variety of options:

@ $400 I might try this from scratch:

X-LS (www.av123) have gotten some solid reviews
BPA1 (www.emotiva.com) also some good feedback
Add your source

It looks like you already have a receiver so you could just get some speaker wire and speakers also.

Another option would be some of these:

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=...er&form=search @ 129

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMS20 @99

These would be great for hooking up to any source since they are not only powered but also have a built in DAC. These would be great for putting on your desk as they are near-field monitors (designed to be used at close range).

If you have a PC sound card/DVD/CD-player with an optical connection just plug it in and you are good.

Since I am new to both stereo and heaphone setups my key was to start small, figure out how much I like them and go from there. You don't want to spend too much then end up having the stuff collect dust because you've moved on to another interest.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 12
i'm prob willing to spend 300 max on the whole system, but again, as little money as possible. i don't need anything thats ridiculous audiophile quality, just something that sounds good.

i listen to mostly indie rock/pop and electronica. thanks for the help!

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 12
You want to hook these up to your computer? You will need a sound card with an unamped line out (I suggest an ESI Juli@ or an E-MU 1212m), an integrated amp (an amp and preamp all in one, not a receiver) and interconnects.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 12
Looks like we have some similar gear! Pioneer source and receiver, Sennheiser HD-497s... Nice.
lambda.gif

That Pioneer DV-333 could probably use an upgrade, for example the SCD-CE595 you mentioned, or a decent DAC to pair with the Pioneer, assuming it has digital output (ex. Entech Number Cruncher 203.2). Either one will cost between $50-$60.

If you're really on a budget, continue using the DV-333 as your source and the VSX-604S as your receiver and just buy the Insignia speakers. You're only out $50, and if you don't like them, sell them. It will at least give you a taste for speakers and help you to determine what you want when you upgrade.

Don't forget to add some decent speaker wire. Try Blue Jeans Cable. Only $0.40 to $1.05 per foot, plus a flat shipping fee (~$5).

Also, as you've probably ascertained, the SCD-CE595 is just a CD player and requires external amplification.

Nov 30, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 12
thanks for the help guys. i just want to clarify some more things. the pioneer DVD player and receiver are actually my dad's, and i do not have either of them at my dorm. essentially, i have to start from scratch. unfortunately, most of my music is currently on a laptop ripped with LAME or my ipod. are there any good PCMCIA based soundcards that i could use to connect my laptop to something? as for the ipod, all i need would be a line out to connect it to a receiver, right?

as for the sony, i was under the assumption that it was a midfi type player that integrated a CD player with amplification. i guess i was wrong?

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 12
If you're more interested in audio from your laptop than playing back actual CDs, consider buying an external USB sound card or DAC (which functions as a sound card, same difference), for example, the E-MU 0404 USB or one of the Total BitHead series from Headroom. Both cost around $199.

It might be cheaper to use your iPod as a source or transport and buy a dock that has digital output or analog line output capabilities.

I can't think of any CD players that offer a built-in speaker amplification section, besides the cheap players used in some home-theater-in-a-box packages. Some CD players do offer a small headphone amplification section, though, but the SCD-CE595 is not one of those players. Built-in amps usually can't compare to dedicated ones anyway.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're more interested in audio from your laptop than playing back actual CDs, consider buying an external USB sound card or DAC (which functions as a sound card, same difference), for example, the E-MU 0404 USB or one of the Total BitHead series from Headroom. Both cost around $199.

It might be cheaper to use your iPod as a source or transport and buy a dock that has digital output or analog line output capabilities.

I can't think of any CD players that offer a built-in speaker amplification section, besides the cheap players used in some home-theater-in-a-box packages. Some CD players do offer a small headphone amplification section, though, but the SCD-CE595 is not one of those players. Built-in amps usually can't compare to dedicated ones anyway.

I think NAD has one of those integrated with DVD player. could be wrong

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #10 of 12
ok so it looks like i'm leaning towards using my ipod as a source... which means i will need a dock with a line out (maybe a pocketdock?), cables, speakers, and a receiver? i guess that wouldn't be too expensive...

i still dont really get the dif between an integrated amp, a receiver, and a DAC

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 12
An integrated amplifier is two-channel (stereo) only and contains both preamplifier and power amplifier sections. A receiver adds a radio tuner and surround channel functionality.

DAC stands for Digital-to-Analog Converter. Digital signals must be converted to analog before they are amplified and sent out for listening. CD players and iPods have built-in DACs. Many receivers also have built-in DACs, but they are optional; you'll only want to use them if the source's built-in DACs are inferior. External stand-alone DACs are also available.

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so it looks like i'm leaning towards using my ipod as a source... which means i will need a dock with a line out (maybe a pocketdock?), cables, speakers, and a receiver? i guess that wouldn't be too expensive...

i still dont really get the dif between an integrated amp, a receiver, and a DAC

Ipod is Class D citizen, actually any used NAD CDP will beat the pants off it
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back