TotalDAC USB cable anyone?
Dec 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

astrostar59

Banned
Member of the Trade: Aries Cerat Espana, Auriculares High-End
AKA Headstage, headphoneweekend
Hi Guys

I have read some magazine reviews, but wanted to hear a view on the TotalDAC USB cable from those who have one in their system.

I am not someone who believes a USB cable quality has no effect on the sound, but I am wanting to get an idea just how much of a benefit the cable from Vincent is. Bearing in my I use a Mac Mini not a custom built server, and I use an M2Tech full stack to SPDIF before my DAC, which 'may' provide some noise isolation?

I have a power regenerator on the whole system, and a DC 12V supply to the Mac Mini. However I believe a computer still pumps out some RMI down the USB cable that affects the sound.

Any help would be great guys.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Cool. The things I want from the TotalDAC USB cable is less high frequency 'hash' I think computer USB has an element of this in varying amounts depending how advanced and well designed the server is and the power supplies to it. I am thinking the cable could have more obvious changes in a system with a more basic server, as opposed to a designed for purpose CAPs?

Regardless, as many in this obsessive hobby, if there is any audible positives by using the device, we HAVE to have it, even if it's barely audible Ha Ha! The reviews I have found seem to say it sounds warmer and smoother with the cable than without. The leading edges of treble information in a DAC can be mistaken for detail I have found. If these (false) edges are removed, we should end up with a closer to source / more realistic sound IMO. And the midrange detail should come through better, especially in complex passages.

May 5, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 4
I've had this cable for about two years. It bested a Black Cat Silverstar, Kingrex II USB, and Curious USB cable in my ever-morphing system. I have a Sablon Reserva USB cable incoming, which I expect to compete with, if not surpass, the TotalDAC cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back