Total price for an m^3
May 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stonyboys

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm wondering what the total price is for all the parts needed to build an m^3 amp. Yes, I did check their site but they only list the prices for the items that they carry, and there are A LOT of tiny things you have to buy from a separate dealer.

Appreciate it.

May 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 12
On the amb site he has an xls spreadsheet with all the "little" parts with prices at the time the person put it together.  That should give you a rough estimate.  Remember that you also will need a power supply of some sort and case.

May 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Checked it, and it said around $142. I would really like a rough estimate of EVERYTHING that I will need, because his price doesn't include the inputs and outputs, and the power supply and casing as you said.

May 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Oops, I got the M and the ^3 part at least? :p Sorry for the mistake. It's still worth sending glass jar audio an email to see if they have the M^3 kits, I know they used to sell 'em.

OP: price can change quite a bit depending on what you settle on for a power supply. If you go with a sigma11 power supply you could easily spend another $80 or so just on that.

Figure $30 for the M^3 case, another $30 for connectors, and $90 for a sigma power supply. $150 + $142 = $292. Call it about $300 for a M^3 build with sigma11. That's just a really general ballpark figure as I'm going off of faint memory and you can obviously save a bunch of my by going with a cheaper power supply.

May 29, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
 $150 + $142 = $192. Call it about $300 for a M^3 build with sigma11

I'm sure you meant $292.

Taking the builds from AMB's gallery, I estimate around $270 for the cheaper end, while the more exotic builds cost in excess of around $550.  Most builds will probably end up around $350.

May 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #10 of 12
the M3 deserves the best pot/attenuator you can afford.

May 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Yes, that is what I meant to type.  That must have been quite an exotic build for $550+, was it a balanced version?

I think there were a few builds that approached that pricepoint.. 

here are some of the parts that i've seen on amb's site, often times more than a couple crammed into one build.

enclosures from hifi2k, par metal, ati, context engineering, custom ordered cases and custom-milled panels....
dact ct2's, rk40, cheaper steppers, additional active circuitry, i think 1 or 2 balanced builds.
Probably the majority of them featured opa627/637 & boutique capacitors throughout.

Take thrice's build for instance.. I got a quote from context engineering before for a enclosure almost exactly like that at around $127 ex. shipping.  Those dact's I think used to be $175 before justin started distributing them, and those 8 cardas jacks, extra knobs/switches, and cerafines couldn't have been pocket change either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back