Total noob with amps. What should I do?
Jun 28, 2007 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

coolpepper43

New Head-Fier
I have shure se530 and custom earmolds. For some reason I cannot stand listening to my setup with my ipod (It sounds like crap). I went to an audiologist and did a little sound testing for my hearing and my results are

20 db @ 250 hertz
15 dB @ 500 hertz
10 dB @ 1000 hertz
0 dB @ 2000 hertz
5 db @ 3000 hertz
5 dB @ 4000 hertz
10 db @ 8000 hertz
5 dB @ 16000 hertz

I know these results are not that good but I think my actual hearing is better than this.

Today was the first day I actually hooked up my earset with my computer and applied my hearing results to the equalizer on iTunes and I got a much better sound. The bad thing is that I cannot transport my custom setting to my iPod.

I keep hearing about how portable amps make everything sound better. The thing is I know absolutely nothing about them. Would a portable amp solve my problem? What do portable amps do?

Thanks
580smile.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 4
I spent about three weeks with the SE530s and they shouldn't sound bad unamped. If they sound that bad, an amp might not be the solution. Have you tried another source or different headphones just to see where the problem may lie? Maybe the custom molds need adjusting. If you really want a good amp for iems, the Tomahawk or a Hornet (on low gain) is great, but other options include getting an imod first then amping. That combo with the SE530s is real nice. If they still sound like crap after that, the problem is definitely with your hearing
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back