Total Noob to Recabling [my KSC75]
Jun 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
So, on a sudden impulse, and since my KSC75 just died due to the cable, I have decided to recable these suckers into something much better. So I'm getting all excited here, looking up parts and stuff, when it hit me.

I have no idea what I'm doing
confused_face_2.gif

So I need to teach myself how to solder stuff right? My dad says he has a kit somewhere in the basement with "everything I need". But I need to know what sort of parts and stuff I need.

I've been searching on Head-Fi, but I'm still clueless. I need a cable, a 75 ohm resistor, and a jack right? What kind of stuff would you guys recommend to me? And also, I'm leaving on vacation soon, so I would prefer to buy from my local Ratshack, or from somewhere with fast shipping.

Is there a tutorial I could look for, or some sort of place where I can read up on some more info. I cracked open the KSC75, and I see four wires, a red, a green, and two copperish ones. What do they mean? When I look for a cable online, some come with 7 strands, some come with a giant single one. How would I go about recabling with these cables then?

I know I sound like a noob, because I AM one. I'm oping you guys could help in any way. And please don't tell me to give up
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 15
You don't need a 75ohm resistor. Just a replacement cable and a plug, not a jack.

There're a lot of Koss' recabling tutorials out there, just do some search and you'll find one.

Those 4 wires are pretty clear, red for R+, green for L+, both the orange ones for ground, one for each driver.

It doesn't matter how many strands you see in a wire, as long as you have at least one strand in the wire, you can have the electricity flow. The more strands in the wire, the more flexible it's. I won't go with the single one because it'd be damn stiffs and fragile, no matter how you braid or put in some "magic dust". A good source for wire to recable the KSC75 is here. Just grasp some 24 or 26awg wires and you're done.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 15
'Cuz it's fun!
Lil' Kinght pretty much said everything I was.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Cuz it's fun!
Lil' Kinght pretty much said everything I was.

^That's why. And I wanna learn
dt880smile.png

Thanks Lil' Knight. I think I can do this. But, how do I connect the cables to the plug?

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Lil' Knight. I think I can do this. But, how do I connect the cables to the plug?

You should take a look at this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...ep-pics-50729/
It almost has all the info you need to do this job.
Recabling the Koss is pretty easy and straightforward as long as you're confident with your soldering skill.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 15
Jun 15, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 15
I watched the video before. Whike I thank you for taking the effort to do that, it didn't really help
frown.gif

My only problem is what kind of cables to get and which part goes where, if you know what I mean.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 15
the interconnect guide will tell you pretty much everything you need to know

As far as cable, you can get Mogami mini star quad or canare mini star quad from redco

Redco Audio
Redco Audio

most likely way overkill for the KSC75 though

a nuetrik plug from dale pro audio (free shipping =) )

Neutrik NYS231BG 3.5mm TRS Stereo plug - Black/Gold: NEUT-NYS231BG Dale Pro Audio

other things you need are:
solder
soldering iron
multimeter
heatshrink
techflex nylon stuff if you want sleeving over your cable.

as far as where things go.. it should be pretty obvious...
there are guides to tell you where to solder your cables.. and
Right Ring
Left tip

A multimeter should tell you where to attach your cables on the plug

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Wow thanks man! Is there a specific cable that you would recommend, as I still want my cans to be portable somewhat. How are these?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-feet-stranded...3%3A4|294%3A30

Also, where can I find a resistor (I want one to improve sound)? And where would I place it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the interconnect guide will tell you pretty much everything you need to know

As far as cable, you can get Mogami mini star quad or canare mini star quad from redco

Redco Audio
Redco Audio

most likely way overkill for the KSC75 though

a nuetrik plug from dale pro audio (free shipping =) )

Neutrik NYS231BG 3.5mm TRS Stereo plug - Black/Gold: NEUT-NYS231BG Dale Pro Audio

other things you need are:
solder
soldering iron
multimeter
heatshrink
techflex nylon stuff if you want sleeving over your cable.

as far as where things go.. it should be pretty obvious...
there are guides to tell you where to solder your cables.. and
Right Ring
Left tip

A multimeter should tell you where to attach your cables on the plug

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 15
Radioshack has some. I never saw resistors at a hardware shop though. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back