total noob looking for a good set of cans, $100-200
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

awkwardsterility

New Head-Fier
hey everyone! i'm new to this site and i've been lurking through the forums and such, but with so many choices and opinions i'm still somewhat clueless as to what to actually get (curse my indecisiveness!).

my price range is $100-200, though i could spend a teensy weensy bit more that $200 if need be.

what i'm looking for is a pair of closed circumaural headphones. leakage isn't a big concern, but i'd prefer them to not leak very much. portability is a pretty big issue, but i'll mainly have a backpack with me, so as long as i can stuff them in there, i'll be just fine. the main brands i'm considering are audio-technica, sennheiser, and sony, though all suggestions are welcome.

sources for these headphones will mainly be (for the time being, anyway) an ipod (60gb 4g) and a powerbook g4 (so i guess i need cans that don't need an amp). hopefully i'll be getting some kind of USB soundcard/amplifier combo to run from my powerbook afterwards (much later, though).

as for the types of music i like, i listen mainly to rock/electronic music. bands/artists include my bloody valentine, sonic youth, serena maneesh, bloc party, sigur ros, telefon tel aviv, massive attack, smashing pumpkins, tool, and a couple others.

praise ye, almighty head-fiers, and thanks in advance.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Sennheiser HD 25-1

QFT

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 11
If you are looking for the "best" cans, then there are as many opinions as there are people posting here.

Suggestion : look at a few sites for headphone prices, many will also review/rate the cans. When you see a few that strike your fancy, and fit your price spectrum, search for the name here on this board.

You will find that there are several different types of headphones, with sound signatures adddressing different music types, and personal preferences of listeners.

I love my Senn HD650s on my office system. When I wanted a cheaper headphone for home, the Senn HD580 was what I decided on, and it will fit your price range.

Some headphones don't reach their potential without amplifications, so beware buying a headphone if you are not planning on an amp as well. Some work perfectly well right out of an ipod, or other portable device.

You can also search this board for the headphones that sound good for rock, jazz, classical etc. Grados are bright, Senns are dark. Much is discussed here, do a search for your favorite music type, all sorts of spirited discussions.

And last but certainly not least, try and audition some headphones, at least buy from a seller who will let you return them if they don't suit.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 11
I would have said the Audio-Technicia ATH-A900s, but those might be a little too big to carry around.

The HD 25-1 is probably your best bet.

Edit: For reference

A900
atha90044bn.jpg

HD 25-1
hd2524yq.jpg

This website is a very good place to find images
http://headphones.warzone.org/

Edit 2: I just realized you specified circumaurals. The 25-1 is a supraaural, and the A900 is circum. You'll definately like the comfort of the A900s.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 11
the HD 25-1's are great portable headphones and very capable in the genre's you mentioned. they kind of clamp on your ears and with the stock pleather pads your ears could get sweaty in the summer. velour pads make them a bit more comfortable, and bending the headbands may help as well. paired with a OFC cable, they're my portables of choice
basshead.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 11
If you're looking for something luggable but don't mind a larger size, I like the DT770-80. It improves with an amp, but sounds very good out of a beefier portable. Certainly too large for some people though, but durable as hell and easily tossed into any bag without fear of breakage.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Sennheiser HD 25-1

These are awesome!!! But they are supra-aural(on the ear) not circum-aural (around the ear). But I think he mixed up the two terms anyway.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 11
thanks for the responses, everyone.

my question now is, where can i try out some of these headphones? even though i'd probably be buying online (usually cheaper), i'd at least like to try out some of these.

any suggestions?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back