Total newbie. What cable to buy?
May 31, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 28
Every price you are willing to pay would be reasonable at least for you :)

May 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #18 of 28
I was looking recabling soon too.  Very helpful thread.  What size nylon sleeving should I use for the mogami w2893?

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 28
I actually use 3/16" I find that to be the best compromise as I can use it with the bigger sized standard quad and also miniquad. Of course, that's just me, makes it easier when buying sleeving.

Brendan

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 28
Yeah I had this problem recently too... it sucks that I bought 40' of it as well... it's ok once you get it right it looks fantastic!

Quote:

1/8 inch just came in.  Just a little bit too small for the 2893.  For anyone interested, looks like 1/4in.  is the correct size

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 28
shouldnt it be obvious that 1/8th is too small? certainly for full coverage multifilament (not microfilament) nylon. which is totally free of microphonics, but hardly stretches at all.

no need for concern about noise there imo

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #25 of 28
Well it definitely works on IEM cables, I'll tell you that for sure. I got the 1/4" the other day which I used a bunch of! The cable sleeving honestly doesn't make a huge difference. If you're using a jacketed cable like Mogami microphone cable, or Canare Starquad, then you should be fine! It's already going to be plenty attractive! The techflex sleeve adds weight and it's abrasive to the touch lol. Here are some pics of cables I've been using with the stuff. I hadn't used this before. 550 paracord which everybody says works is 1/8" too and it's even worse than the techflex haha. I use stranded silver wire so it's a little different... but the microphone cable is hands down the easiest to work with!

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #26 of 28
Well it definitely works on IEM cables, I'll tell you that for sure. I got the 1/4" the other day which I used a bunch of! The cable sleeving honestly doesn't make a huge difference. If you're using a jacketed cable like Mogami microphone cable, or Canare Starquad, then you should be fine! It's already going to be plenty attractive! The techflex sleeve adds weight and it's abrasive to the touch lol. Here are some pics of cables I've been using with the stuff. I hadn't used this before. 550 paracord which everybody says works is 1/8" too and it's even worse than the techflex haha. I use stranded silver wire so it's a little different... but the microphone cable is hands down the easiest to work with!

Exactly what I've found. The outer jacket is more than supple enough to prevent/keep any microphonics to an absolute minimum. The sleeving is mostly there for aesthetics reason, as it is not perfectly smooth so when moving the cable around a surface you can hear the bumps scraping around. More of a personal preference.

Brendan

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:

thats because thats not full coverage non-microphonic multifilament, but rather regular techflex which i never use on headphone cables. moreso with customs, or with silicone tips, that noise of rubbing is pretty loud with customs. i can tell you you would have no chance of putting 1/8 full coverage on that cable and putting that normal nylon techflex would be a serious pita for mogami i reckon, would probably go on, but it would be pulled so tight the microphonics would be louder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back