Total Newbie Needs Helps- Are the M50's best option for around $100.
May 20, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #16 of 30
If you go for one of the shure,get either the SRH840 or the DJ750...i read it is very good. try not to get the lower grade models.
i personally own the M50 and i must say that i get amazed by them everytime.  simply outstanding performance for the money.    they get the mids and highs just right,only the bass is a little humped up...but not boomy or muddy if coming from a good source. 
I got them and was VERY very surprised...I own the denon D5000 and I like them both the same,they M50 are not coming short of the D5000 IMHO.

May 20, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 30
Yes, but is it worth paying 100% MORE? TWICE the price? I doubt it is for non-audiophiles or non-experiences listeners

Also, for example, if his source is an ipod touch, an ipod LOD (Fiio L1 7~8$) and an a cheap amp (Fiio E5 20$, includes bass booster), it would be worth it for him in the long run, and it still will be under budget

I'm not saying it's not worth it, but it MIGHT not be worth it for him...

May 20, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #21 of 30
If you are listening from a computer, investing in a soundcard might be wise (something like an ASUS xonar DS), if you are going to listen from an ipod, an LOD and portable amp may be interesting

Usually, non-audiphiles prefer a funner sound for music, therefor the M50s may be your best bet. But I prefer reference accurate sound for my listen, so I went SRH440.

Do you need any portability with these headphones?You might need to take that into account

May 20, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
Yes, but is it worth paying 100% MORE? TWICE the price? I doubt it is for non-audiophiles or non-experiences listeners

Also, for example, if his source is an ipod touch, an ipod LOD (Fiio L1 7~8$) and an a cheap amp (Fiio E5 20$, includes bass booster), it would be worth it for him in the long run, and it still will be under budget

I'm not saying it's not worth it, but it MIGHT not be worth it for him...

yes,it is worth paying double the price in this case imo.  the shure lower models are really don't consider good as the SRH840,and they don't get much (almost any) discussion in this forum.      you may be right...he can get the 440,but i bet he will upgrade later...soon later so i just gave my honest advice as an audiophile that wants to help from unnecessary money spending later on.

May 20, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #23 of 30

Quote:
If you are listening from a computer, investing in a soundcard might be wise (something like an ASUS xonar DS), if you are going to listen from an ipod, an LOD and portable amp may be interesting

Usually, non-audiphiles prefer a funner sound for music, therefor the M50s may be your best bet. But I prefer reference accurate sound for my listen, so I went SRH440.

Do you need any portability with these headphones?You might need to take that into account

I prefer "fun" sound most of the time,just look at my sig...am i not an audiophile?  maybe by your definition.    the thing about headphones like D5000 and RS1 etc. is that they are very coloured,"fun" but give hi fidelity at the same time.
are you saying that the 440 supposed to be more accurate than the 840?

May 20, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 30
Best $105. I've spent in a very long time. .... and the proper tools to replace the cord if I need too. ... You can get the straight cable version for $100 here. ... Also, the ATH-M50's only have about 50% coiled in the middle - 3ft ... one of the $99 places at AMazom asking about turn around time . ...

May 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 30
not, I'm saying that non-audiophiles prefer fun sound, not the people who prefer fun sound are not audiphiles XD

And Compared to the M50, the SRH440/840/750DJ is a more accurate less fun sound

You may be right, sometimes better spend more once then twice... but I am not sure if it is the case for him, his choice really..

Oh and the Shures can withstand alot of abuse 
wink.gif

May 20, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
yes,it is worth paying double the price in this case imo.  the shure lower models are really don't consider good as the SRH840,and they don't get much (almost any) discussion in this forum.      you may be right...he can get the 440,but i bet he will upgrade later...soon later so i just gave my honest advice as an audiophile that wants to help from unnecessary money spending later on.

I actually prefer the sound balance of the SRH440 over the SRH840. If I were willing to spend the money for the SRH840 I would go for the Beyerdynamic DT250 instead of the SRH840.

May 20, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #27 of 30

Quote:
not, I'm saying that non-audiophiles prefer fun sound, not the people who prefer fun sound are not audiphiles XD

You may be right, sometimes better spend more once then twice... but I am not sure if it is the case for him, his choice really..

wink.gif

I misunderstood your remark about the audiophile/fun sound...I guess you are right at that point.  I also thought you meant that the 440 is more accurate than the 840 i didn't realize you were reffering to the M50.  I didn't listen to any of the shures but from reading reviews i tend to agree with that also,although the M50 mids and highs are right on the spot imo and only the bass is picked up a little.  by the way,i still think that spending more on the 840 is worth the money.

Quote:
I actually prefer the sound balance of the SRH440 over the SRH840. If I were willing to spend the money for the SRH840 I would go for the Beyerdynamic DT250 instead of the SRH840.

I think you are the first one that says he prefers the 400 over the 840,,,at least from what i read on head fi.  anyway,if it works for you its all that important
wink_face.gif

May 20, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #29 of 30
Your other option is the Shure SRH750 DJ. It is IMO a better headphone than the M50 in terms of sound quality. I'm saying this as an M50 fan. 

SRJ750 has less midbass than the M50 but goes down really deep and has a full, rich bassy sound. Where it takes the advantage is in the mids and highs, has the typical yummy Shure treble but at the same time gives a great low end, something I have traditionally found Shure to be horrible at. 

I think right now it's still a bit more expensive than the M50 (around $130 I think?) but I strongly recommend this one over the M50.

May 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #30 of 30

Quote:
While I kind of understand, why not go the lower grade model? The 750dj or 840 are double the 440s price

They're double the price for a reason... they sound a LOT better. Well the 750DJ anyway. I will not comment on the 840.

Quote:

wink.gif

I don't know about the Shures being "more accurate and less fun." Half of that statement is mostly relative -- you can't really say what's more "fun" -- and especially since none of these headphones are "reference grade accurate" so to speak -- whatever that means.

Anyway the M50 is great, was my first good headphone and it still holds up well to a lot of the competition, though I do admit my other cans like the Beyer DT770 and HD650 retired it. But the M50 is still great for sounding great unamped and its sound is still competitive despite its weaknesses (very closed and congested sounding).

But today I prefer the SRH750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back