Total Newbie Needs Helps- Are the M50's best option for around $100.
May 19, 2010 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

has78

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a closed set of headphones for around the $100 mark. The M50's seem to be popular.

Music I listen to:
Top 40
Mix of everything from country to rock and hip hop

Reason I need a closed set of headphones is because sometimes I'll be listening to them at work and don't want too much noise leakage. 

If open headphones sound better and are worth it get them then I can go with that options if there is something for around $100. I don't listen to music too loud so maybe I can do open or closed right?

Headphones I currently own:
I only own one set of headphones which are the Bose Q2 that I received a coupe of years ago as a gift.   

Questions-
I don't know anything about headphones. All I've listened to is the Bose Q2s. Can I get a better sounding headphone for $100? Again I know nothing about sound stage or terminology mentioned on the site. 

May 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 30
The SRH440 is the other popular closed option for $100. You can even find it for less if you look around. The SRH440 are more balanced, less warm and bassy than the M50's from what I have read (so they might suit rock and country a bit more).  Open headphones will leak some even at lower volume levels so it would depend how close you are to your co-workers if you don't want to disturb them.  Open headphones do sound more natural in general so something like the MS-1, DT440, or AD700 could give you more bang for your buck overall imo.

May 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 30
AD700s have ridiculous leakage for work environments. Either the (FOTM) M50 or SRH440 should be decent choices for closed phones though.

May 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 30
Definetly stick with closed headphones for work.  I got my M50s for work to use out of my ipod, and they are great.  I really like the way they sound and they isolate pretty well, but do leak a little at higher volumes.  I feel I made a good purchase for the money.

May 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 30
There's also the Denon D1001 in a thread right at the top now. It sound's really good and looks like it can be found for cheap called the Creative Aurvana Live!

May 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 30
Hey Now,

I just got a pair of M50s a couple of weeks ago for just the same thing, office environment. Listening at a low to medium volume does not leak any sound out. Higher volumes will leak a little. They are a bit bassy.I found a good deal for new in box on fleabay with free shipping. 

--
Finest kind,
Chris

May 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 30
From what I've read the M50's are a great option, especially if you like bass but I haven't heard them. If the midrange is more important to you though, especially if you enjoy life-like vocals, then check out the Fostex T50RP. They don't seem to leak much as far as the sane music levels I listen at anyway; are comfortable once you get used to them; and the clarity and detail are great out of the E-MU 0404usb amp/DAC I use at home. I can't even listen to my AD700's anymore as the Fostex are immediately noticeably on a higher level of sound reproduction to my ears.

May 20, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 30
I'm looking at the M50's as well, and I have a few questions. Are there differences between the ATH-M50 Pro Studio and the ATH-M50 Standard? On amazon the pro studios are a different color but are the same price. My search abilities must be awful cuz I couldn't find anything tho. Thanks!

May 20, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 30
No idea on the first. Yeah it's possible to get the M50's with a straight cable. I think they are called M50s or M50 straight cable something like that.

May 20, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 30
the choices you got are SRH440s (70$) or the M50 (110$)

do you prefer fun sound or more analytic, realistic sound? What is the source? (ipod touch or other or onboard sound on a computer or a soundcard?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back