Total Bithead's DAC better quality than M-Audio Revo 5.1?
Aug 22, 2007 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Scottyyy

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was wondering if the DAC on the Bithead was of better quality than the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card. The Revo sounds pretty good considering the price I paid for it, but I like the idea of a DAC/amp combo.

Also, I'll be soon buying an Oppo 970HD DVD player. I wouldn't be able to use the Bithead with the DVD player as the Bithead is only USB, correct? No digital. So, would it be a good idea to get a DAC with digital output so I can use the Oppo as a source? Would that sound good/better than the M-Audio? If so, can anyone recommend a DAC in the same price range as the Bithead that features digital?

Thanks

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Another question.

There's lots of hiss/sibilance in the highs when I use the sound card with no amp. This probably due to the inside of the computer being very noisy, right? Would the DAC on the Bithead eliminate this? If it does, that'll be enough for me to buy it. Even if the DAC isn't as good as the one on my Revo 5.1.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Anyone? I'd like to know before I buy one, which I want to do soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 11
My MicroDAC was better than my M-Audio Revo 5.1. I wouldn't say the Revo 5.1 was muddy, but everything is just clearer and more articulate with the MicroDAC.

About the Digital Output, your Revo 5.1 has a Coax out, so you can let it stay in your computer and you can use the digital out when you get an external DAC. Personally though, I'd get an external soundcard/DAC to move it away from the noisy computer tower.

"There's lots of hiss/sibilance in the highs when I use the sound card with no amp."
The Revo 5.1 has a dedicated amp built-in (the lineout and headphone out are separated). If my memory is still intact, I believe it had hiss/sibilance + a ton of bass. Didn't impress me much. The hiss/sibilance might not be due to the noise in the computer, sometimes it's just a system mismatch. I believe the Bithead (if you're getting it) in low gain will has less hiss (if any at all).

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 11
I looked up the specs of the DACs on each of the devices in quesion.

Headroom Total BitHead (PCM2902)
SNR: -96dB
DR: 93dB

M-Audio Revolution 5.1 (AKM4358)
SNR: -94dB
DR: 112dB

Take these specs as you will. You also have to consider that these are specs on paper, and there are many factors of implementation to consider. In particular the fact that a Revo 5.1 will be right inside a noisy PC and a BitHead will be outside and away from that environment. The only way to truly judge the two would be to hear them side by side. Personally, my gut says go with the BitHead.
tongue.gif

As far as using the BitHead with your Oppo DVD player, the BitHead has a analog input as well as a USB input, all you really need is a RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect the two. The USB input on the BitHead will only work with a PC (so far anyway). I'm guessing you'll be using the Oppo for DVDA and SACD, in which case you will have to use the DAC of the Oppo anyway. Using the Oppo --> BitHead for DVDA and SACD and PC --> BitHead seems like a fine solution to me.

Aug 23, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

You've been a really big help. I think I'll go wit hthe Bithead. I think it will be best for me to try lots of different equipment until I find what's right for me. Costly, but hey, it's probably worth it in the end.

I'm not sure how to burn SACD disks, or what I'd need to do it, but I am certainly interested in trying it out. It'll be nice to listen to music away from the computer for a while.

Thanks again lads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My MicroDAC was better than my M-Audio Revo 5.1. I wouldn't say the Revo 5.1 was muddy, but everything is just clearer and more articulate with the MicroDAC.

About the Digital Output, your Revo 5.1 has a Coax out, so you can let it stay in your computer and you can use the digital out when you get an external DAC. Personally though, I'd get an external soundcard/DAC to move it away from the noisy computer tower.

"There's lots of hiss/sibilance in the highs when I use the sound card with no amp."
The Revo 5.1 has a dedicated amp built-in (the lineout and headphone out are separated). If my memory is still intact, I believe it had hiss/sibilance + a ton of bass. Didn't impress me much. The hiss/sibilance might not be due to the noise in the computer, sometimes it's just a system mismatch. I believe the Bithead (if you're getting it) in low gain will has less hiss (if any at all).

Do you think it would be worth paying the extra $150 and get a MicroDAC? I could then use digital (I assume the Micro has digital inputs) to connect the Revo to the DAC, right?

Also, would I then need an amp, or does the MicroDAC have a headphone input? Would going Revo > MicroDAC > Denon D2000 be enough? Or would I need extra amplfication in there?

Because if I need extra amplification then I may aswell get the Bithead. But I've always wanted to try digital, I don't know why. Always seemed like it'd be higher quality than analogue.

Thanks

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Well I've been reading around about the Bithead, but I also noticed that the EMU 0404 USB was a popular alternative to the Bithead.

I think I may go with the EMU, from what I've read it's of higher quality and has more features. I will only be using this at my computer so portability isn't an advantage to me. Hmm, does anyone know if the EMU 0404 USB will go well with the Denon D2000's?

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi. I haven't an EMU so can't give you any advice concerning how it compares with the Bithead. It is certain however that the EMU sports more features than the Bithead, but then it is a sound card, not a portable dac/amp. One thing worth double-checking on is if the EMU can run independently from the computer so you can use it as a stand-alone amplifier with the Oppo you are planning to get. I would be surprised if it did and having to run the computer in order to use the EMU would be an inconvenience imho. At least, I haven't read anything anywhere that indicates the EMU can work as a stand-alone amplifier, a feature that would definitely set it apart from all the USB sound cards I know about.

If you're only after something to run with the computer, then the EMU is a good way to go. However, if you want to be able to use it with arbitrary analog sources--and I'm right above about the EMU not being able to function without being connected to a computer--then a usb dac/amp combo like the Bithead, Corda Move, iBasso D1, etc., would probably be a better option.

The Bithead has both a digital USB input and an analog line in so you can use it with either a computer or any analog source with an appropriate cable.

Concerning hiss, the Bithead is pretty much silent as far as I can tell. With the unit unplugged, I ?might? be able to detect a very slight hiss when the volume is turned up to max, but the normal listening range for me is usually less than half the max volume. It's so quiet, I could just be dreaming too! :) When using the Bithead with the computer, it is equally as quiet. The in-built sound card on my machine, on the other hand, simply doesn't compare, the hiss getting louder as the impedance of the cans decreases.

Hope this helps.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I haven't an EMU so can't give you any advice concerning how it compares with the Bithead. It is certain however that the EMU sports more features than the Bithead, but then it is a sound card, not a portable dac/amp. One thing worth double-checking on is if the EMU can run independently from the computer so you can use it as a stand-alone amplifier with the Oppo you are planning to get. I would be surprised if it did and having to run the computer in order to use the EMU would be an inconvenience imho. At least, I haven't read anything anywhere that indicates the EMU can work as a stand-alone amplifier, a feature that would definitely set it apart from all the USB sound cards I know about.

If you're only after something to run with the computer, then the EMU is a good way to go. However, if you want to be able to use it with arbitrary analog sources--and I'm right above about the EMU not being able to function without being connected to a computer--then a usb dac/amp combo like the Bithead, Corda Move, iBasso D1, etc., would probably be a better option.

The Bithead has both a digital USB input and an analog line in so you can use it with either a computer or any analog source with an appropriate cable.

Concerning hiss, the Bithead is pretty much silent as far as I can tell. With the unit unplugged, I ?might? be able to detect a very slight hiss when the volume is turned up to max, but the normal listening range for me is usually less than half the max volume. It's so quiet, I could just be dreaming too! :) When using the Bithead with the computer, it is equally as quiet. The in-built sound card on my machine, on the other hand, simply doesn't compare, the hiss getting louder as the impedance of the cans decreases.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate.

Fair point about not being able to connect it to the Oppo, but then again I don't see myself using it with the Oppo (I don't plan on purchasing it for a while too) very much. To be honest, all I really want to do is get rid of the hissing/sibilance that is now ever so evident with the Denon's. It's not there with the AD700's so I guess the Denon's are very sensitive headphones.

I think I'll just go with whatever I can find used first. I've had an offer for a Bithead from someone in Australia. If I can get that for a good price I think I'll go with it. If I'm unhappy with it (which I doubt) then I could always sell it and get the EMU later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back