Total Bithead
Apr 19, 2006 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Esidarap

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just about ready to buy this and I'm having last second thoughts (who doesn't). Right now my main source is my computer, it's an old 500 mhz iBook. The headphone out from it is very bass shy.. kind of like my iPod. Ok, so after reading through head-fi I came to the conclusion that I actually might need an amp... or even better a Total Bithead which is a USB DAC and amp all in one.. not only will I get a superior sound out of usb but it'll be nicely powered too. Also, very important.. the Bithead is a very nice looking and very small box and I won't look like a dork if I take it outside.

Alright.. does anyone see flaws in my logic or selection? Should I go ahead and buy this?

I need some second opinions.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 15
Hi. I will suggest you take a look at the Silverstone EB01 USB DAC. It costs around 100usd and is said to be a very good DAC for the money. It comes close to the MicroDac performance according to a member (close, not equal).

I would buy that beautiful looking USB DAC at 100usd (it's actually less from Newegg) and an amp. But, looking at your sig, I would FIRST try it with it's cable (2 RCA to 1 Miniplug) and see how it performs. I mean, to me it'd be wiser buying first the dac, seeing how it performs with Asio4ALL, EQ, etc. and then only going for an amp.
Just my 2 argentinian cents (which would be like 1 third of 2cents in US)

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 15
I've had mine for about 2 weeks, but haven't posted a review yet because I had a head-cold for the first week of use. Using it for the past week, I can honestly say I am very, very satisfied. I have yet to find a real downside to my Total Bithead. I have no regrets, and my amp search is officially over. A full review will follow in a couple of days...

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 15
My guess is you'll notice a very nice improvement. Love mine and it's not the latest iteration. It's about to become my laptop/motorhome rig; I generally use SR-71 w/ iPod for portable use.
=CPW=

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 15
2006 Total Bithead is a very solid sounding little amp. It drives a variety of headphones with real authority. If you have not used a good amp before you will be most surprised and pleased with the improvement a Total Bithead brings from your ibook.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Is it better than pimeta?

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 15
The better comparison would be the PINT since they use the same opamp, AD8397, that has a built-in buffer, whereas the Pimeta uses an opamp+buffer configuration.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 15
What's the deal with the 2 to 4 week wait? The Airhead is in-stock but not the Bithead... damn, what luck.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
What's the deal with the 2 to 4 week wait? The Airhead is in-stock but not the Bithead... damn, what luck.

Many of us fight low impulse control our entire lives.
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
I'm currently using the UM1 and am thinking of getting this amp. Is this a good move?

You would probably be using the gain in the low position and the Total Bithead will probably put you in the mind of a new pair of IEMs or some real headphones. But using a PC as your source your sound quality and enjoyment will increase.

Apr 23, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

...Total Bithead will probably put you in the mind of a new pair of IEMs or some real headphones. But using a PC as your source your sound quality and enjoyment will increase

You mean I should go get a new pair of IEMs or the Total Bithead would like make me feel like I'm using a new pair of IEMs?

Apr 23, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
You mean I should go get a new pair of IEMs or the Total Bithead would like make me feel like I'm using a new pair of IEMs?

You know, that's a good question. Probably both, but I would do the amp first and see how you liked that.

What I meant was I have no experience with the UM-1s, but as they are described to me I think you can do better. Now, if you are plugging the UM-1s into the audio out of your PC, I am sure you will like the sound from running the PC USB into the Total Bithead and then into the UM-1s. That said, I'm not big on IEMs; I've got Ety 4Ss, but I only use them on airplanes or in noisy areas for sound isolation. I much prefer open headphones with pads that go all around your ears (circumaural in the trade; HD 580/600/650, DT 880, k701s) They tend to place the sound out from you like you would hear from the audience rather than in the middle of your head like IEMs. So what I meant was once you had a good DAC/Amp for your PC, I figured you would evolve yowards headphones that sound better then I think IEMs sound.

So, yeah, the Total Bithead will make your UM-1s sound "new", but they will also demonstrate some of their limitations. Which may get you into some cans other then IEMs, which, if your preferences are anything like mine, you will like better. What are you using for a source?

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Am using the Creative Zen Micro, not a pc cause this pc that I'm using has a superbly crappy audio card (It's an onboard Pentium 2 motherboard audio card). I am thinking of getting the PX100 to accompany this new amp that I'm thinking of getting.

Man...Head-Fi is surely making me poor XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back