Total Bithead: so how much better does it really get?
Jan 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Schweiz

Head-Fier
I'm sitting here chilling to Norah Jones and am absolutely loving my setup. However, I can't help but wonder how much improvement I'll get by upgrading my amp.

My setup is: Laptop (pc) > Total Bithead > Denon D2000

I originally purchased the Bithead simply to bypass the noisy sound card in my laptop and I like it. It's far better than any headphone setup I've ever used before (noisy sound card straight to very cheap headphones). I've never heard another headphone amp or other decent headphones, so I have no basis for reference.

Let's say I were to get the Headroom Micro Stack or something of similar caliber. I certainly don't expect the same level of improvement I obtained by simultaneously upgrading my cans and getting the bithead. However, what level of improvement can I expect?

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 4
a substantial improvement, but you could certainly do better for the money iof you arent set on it being so small; I mean its not portable anyway the stack, so why not get something fullsize?? heck you could get a half decent dac and a beta22 for that money

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 4
mm norah jones..

(sorry for the total useless comment and perhaps spam... but com'on, norah jones = pure goodness)

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 4
I should probably clarify my priorities; I am particularly interested in improvements in detail and instrument separation. At this point sound stage is not something that concerns me a great deal.

I paid $360 for my Denon's & the Bithead. Upgrading to a worthwhile amp/dac may cost, let's say, US $500+. This is significantly more than my entire setup right now, and therefore, needs to be more than incremental.

Would the difference be comparable to moving from a Shure SE210 to the SE530 (flawed example, I know)? Or, is the difference going to be less noticeable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back